Saturday, July 10, 2010

Hall of Fame: Jerry Hanbery

For the past several weeks I have been using Saturdays to remember stories and headlines from our youth group newsletter in Kissimmee.  In August of 1998 The UMYF Enquirer featured a story under the headline So Long, Sundance.  It marked the end of a very special era in my career as a youth minister.  Today we remember that era...

Rev. John Willis had written me before my arrival at FUMC-K in 1994 to tell me of the adults who were working with the student ministry at the time.  He also listed some others who could possibly be enlisted to help, and one of those names was Jerry Hanbery (pictured on one of our famous Luau Nights).  Jerry was a college student who had been a very important part of the youth group during his high school years, and he was thinking (at the time) of pursuing ministry as a vocation.  It turned out that for my first summer in town, Jerry had been hired to serve a small Methodist church in Orlando as their youth leader, so he wasn't around as much as I would have liked.  Even so, I began to learn about him.  I decided to do a student "kidnapping" and get some of our new 6th graders, and Jerry quickly volunteered to serve as the kidnapper.  We rented him a Chewbacca costume, and were supposed to meet at the church at 6 AM on a Saturday morning.  At 5:30 AM, Jerry was knocking on the door of my house, afraid that he was late.  To her credit, Marilyn let him live!  I don't remember a whole lot about that morning, but I do remember Jerry throwing a very startled Erin Augenblick over his shoulder and carrying her out to the van.  It was awesome- and it was only the beginning.

In each of the next four summers, Jerry was my official Summer Intern.  No one has ever been better.  The stories of the things we did are legendary, and you can read many of them by going to the "Search Box" in the upper left-hand corner of this page, typing in his name and clicking.  You can read about the Mystery Trips, Banana Splits, the Nair and so much more.  There are, however, a few things I want to remember right here and now.  Jerry had a tradition on youth trips.  At some point during our adventures, he would always find a way to go Streaking (making a mad dash while wearing no clothes!).  He was always discreet, and most of the youth had no idea it ever happened.  But one night, in south Georgia, he decided to streak from our motel room out to the van around midnight.  It seemed safe enough.  The people sitting in their car right outside of our room seemed a bit surprised to see the naked man go by...   He also went "skinny-dipping" in the Ocoee River at least once.  Jerry enjoyed being naked.   He enjoyed doing outlandish things.  His wife will tell you that he still lives my the motto, "It seemed like a good idea at the time..."  That attitude brought an edge to our ministry that very few church groups ever discover, and even fewer ever turn loose.

Jerry was also a creative dynamo.  He always thought outside the box, and brought so much excitement and variety to our ministry.  The youth absolutely adored him.  Every year the questions would start around February: "When does Jerry get back?"  Many of them turned to Jerry with problems and issues in their own lives, because they knew he cared and would listen.  Most people may look back on his work at FUMC-K and remember the guy in the coconut bra or his night on the bungee swing at Old Town;  I remember the guy who always had time for our students.  His energy, dedication and commitment to what we were trying to do in those days was amazing; and he did it all for what seemed like about $1.75 a summer.  He helped lead two mission trips without me, including the first Spanish Wells trip (the day after my son was born), or as he calls it, "the trip that shall not be named."  He taught Bible studies.  He shared a house with me on the second Spanish Wells mission trip in 1997, eating fresh mango and "Johnny Cakes" for breakfast and sharing great late night chats with Jennifer Minnigan and Teresa Reep, who were staying at the house next door.  That is still one of the best weeks ever!

Jerry is also just an amazing human being.  He has been knocked down and kicked by life more times than most, yet he always gets back up.  No one in his family had ever been to college before Jerry; he now has more advanced degrees than Dr. Phil, and none of Jerry's were from the Internet!  He is currently working as an attorney in Orlando, where he lives with his wife Melissa and their daughter Lorelei.  He calls me on a regular basis just to catch up and check on me.  He has been a guest in our home.  We have always been able to talk about everything- our lives, our failures, politics, religion, music, movies- even when we disagree.  He has shown me love and support in ways I cannot express here.  He is, other than my wife and son, my best friend.  He still connects with teenagers- my son Will just adores him.

I was in youth ministry for 28 years, and without question my very favorite memories come from the four summers (1995-1998) I spent with Jerry Hanbery.  Every Batman needs a Robin; every Kirk needs a Spock; and every Butch Cassidy needs a Sundance Kid.  For those four glorious summers, I had my Sundance.  If you know that movie, then you know that while Butch may have been the front man of the operation, Sundance provided the real muscle.  Together, we accomplished some wonderful things in the lives of teenagers in Kissimmee- and no two guys ever had more fun doing it!  Someday, when my Youth Group Hall of Fame has its grand opening, you will walk through the doors and immediately encounter two exhibits that honor the two people who made my ministry what it was.  The first will feature Marilyn Jones.  The second will honor Jerry Hanbery.  Welcome to the Hall of Fame, Sundance.  I really miss those days, but at least I am safe in the knowledge that I won't ever have to see your naked butt again!  Probably...

Because of Jesus,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!