Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Hall of Fame: Lisa Kraus

We've all heard it said that big things often come in small packages, and I have often found this to be true.  When I first met Lisa Kraus (on the left in picture) after my arrival in Kissimmee in 1994, I don't really remember thinking that there was anything particularly remarkable about her.  She was a short, quiet red-head who seemed not to like me very much, at least in the beginning.  There was certainly nothing about her to indicate that not only would she become one of my favorite youth, but that as an adult she would be among my best friends.  And there was certainly no reason to think that the day would ever come when she would take her place in my Youth Group Hall of Fame.  But today is that day!

Lisa earned this honor in a variety of ways.  She was often "picked on" by the youth and adults of FUMC-K.  We made short jokes.  We harassed her about her temper.  There was a running gag about Lisa and quarters that I don't really remember, but I think it had something to do with how she might have earned them (I hope someone will fill in the missing pieces on that one...).  She was also the Queen of Rio Bravo.  We loved going to that restaurant in those days, and it seemed no matter when you went you encountered the Kraus family.  Lisa always took our silliness in stride, and she always got her shots in as well! 

Lisa was also a leader.  She didn't lead with speeches or lectures; she led by example.  No one was more faithful to the church or the youth group.  She was on the fabled Mountain Top mission trip my first summer and most every other trip we took during her high school years.  Lisa also had her own ministry.  During her high school years, she was often the one that our younger females turned to for advice and help.  They did this because it was so obvious that Lisa cared.  She counted on myself and other adults in our ministry for support and advice as well.  Lisa lived out her life in our student ministry through good times and bad.

My favorite Lisa story has to be from our second Mission Trip to Spanish Wells,the Bahamas in 1997.  We were doing a Vacation Bible School for the four churches on the tiny island.  Lisa and her partner in crime, Sara Thacker, were in charge of the crafts.  They were creative, organized...and ruthless!!!  No one dared question their ultimate authority over the crafts area.  No child even considered misbehaving.  And any member of our Mission Team who gave them any grief was dealt with swiftly.  We were afraid to go near the craft area.  Jerry Hanbery and I began referring to them as the Craft Nazis, a title that Lisa wore with pride.  They did an amazing job, and they did it their way- and the kids loved them (even if we were a little scared of them!).  Lisa was not afraid to walk her own path or to speak her mind.  Those same traits- creativity, tenacity, organization and a take-no-prisoners attitude- have served her well as an elementary school teacher.  So has the caring she demonstrated so often in our youth group family.

Lisa has been just as amazing as an adult.  When my world fell apart a few years ago, she never quit checking on my family and myself.  We have stayed in touch, and she has always given me love and support, even on the numerous occasions when I didn't deserve it.  I know I could call her right now and she would do everything she could to help me or any other of her friends, because that is just who Lisa Kraus is.  You want to know how important Lisa is to me?  When I flew back from Chicago for her wedding in 2001, my plane caught fire on take-off and had to make an emergency landing.  I got back on that plane a few hours later so I wouldn't miss her big day.  I wound up changing clothes in a bathroom at the airport, getting a cab straight to the church and storing my luggage in Jill Augenblick's office- but I got there.  Flaming airplanes couldn't keep me away!  Lisa was and is that special.

It is still sometimes hard to believe that a young woman who graduated from Gateway High School without ever having read a book (her own words) became one of the best and most dedicated elementary school teachers I know, but that is Lisa.  Always full of surprises.  Welcome to my Hall of Fame,Lisa.  You are the first Craft Nazi to make it!    I'll send you the prize later.  It is exactly 25 cents...

Because of Jesus,

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Carl. Youth group was an amazing experience and I treasure the memories! And just to let you know. I have been reading all summer so far... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I am liking all this Betsy Bee reunion talk! Loving Hall of Fame Week. All truly wonderful people :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, you have to read now to keep up with your daughter! And Meagan, everyone of you guys belongs in the Hall, because Kissimme was full of wonderful people!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!