Monday, March 22, 2010

Hoop-de-doo!

On Monday night, the third night of our Floridays 1993 trip, we finally got to experience the fun and food that is the Hoop-de-doo Revue!  We boarded a boat at the TTC and shuttled over to the Fort Wilderness Campground.  We found our way to Pioneer Hall and our seating of Disney's most popular dinner show.  I still could not believe we had been able to get in.  We were seated at tables for eight, and greeted with chips and salsa.  Our waiters and waitresses then began bringing our drinks and salads.  Everything was served family style.  The entertainment began shortly after we were seated, with lots of traditional American music and bad puns from the Pioneer Hall Players.  And the food just kept coming!  Ribs, fried chicken (the best I've ever had!), cornbread, baked beans, corn on the cob and more were brought to us as often as we wanted- and we wanted a lot!!!  Then, as our servers joined in the entertainment, strawberry shortcake (the best I've ever had!) was delivered and the meal was finished.  The entertainment cranked up with the audience twirling their napkins and shouting "Yahoo!  Hoop-de-doo!" at the top of our lungs. There was a melodrama about Davy Crockett and a bear, featuring some of the worst puns and jokes you will ever hear. It was almost unbearable, but you just had to grin and bear it...   It was just an amazing evening, and the kids loved it.  We talked later about how exciting it is to dream dreams and pray prayers and see them answered.  It was so cool to be able to remind our group that God is good all the time!

Before we left Pioneer Hall and headed back to the Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort, Mark Rumley collected some of the left over chicken from the tables for consumption at a later time.  That chicken would come back to haunt us...

Tomorrow we will take a look at how one famous Disney character had to deal with a stalker from our group.  In the meantime, keep signing my guestbook, making comments and sending those e-mails!

Because of Jesus,

3 comments:

  1. Cheryl Deal Meadows3/23/2010

    Hey Carl. I have very fond memories of this show. Do they even still do it? It's funny you mentioned the fried chicken because it was excellent. I don't know if I am remembering it all just so, but for some reason the whole show reminded me of the old showbiz pizza place dining and entertainment area..lol. I guess it was the fake animated bears..hehe. Anyway, I am planning on a trip to Disney for probably next summer, and if its still running, Hoop De Doo is definitely on my to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is still there and still incredibly popular, Cheryl. But the fake bears are at the Country Bear Jamboree, not Hoop-de-doo, where there was a guy in a bear suit! It has been a few years since I was there, but the chicken was still awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheryl Deal Meadows3/23/2010

    Thanks for clearing that up Carl. I had a feeling I wasn't remembering something quite right, lol. But I definitely remember going out to the middle of nowhere and I definitely remember the family style service. I seem to remember you giving me a hard time because that was the first time I had ever ate ribs..lol. And I was trying to be neat with them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!