Thursday, March 25, 2010

CCM Countdown: 7

We're taking a break from the tales of Floridays 1993 to continue the countdown of the 50 Contemporary Christian Music albums that had the greatest impact on my ministry and my life through 2006.  Today we are at number 7.  To see last Thursday's post and get links to go all the way back to number 50, just click here!  Come back tomorrow for the story of Chicken Man!

8)  i 2 (EYE)-  Michael W. Smith-  1988
I was a big fan of MWS from Friends and his live album when I purchased i 2 (EYE), but I had no idea what I was in for.  From the minute the opening harmonica from Hand of Providence came soaring from the tape player, I was hooked.  I gave away lots of copies of this project as prizes at TNT, and used several of the songs in slide shows and for worship services over the years.  I still listen to the CD on a regular basis, and it NEVER gets old!

FEATURED SONGS
Few songs in the 40 year history of CCM have as strong a message or as lasting an impact as Secret Ambition (see video at bottom).  The lyric tells of Jesus' desire to "give His life away" for us.  So powerful.  Other classics include the aforementioned Hand of Providence, I Hear Leesha, Help You Find Your Way and The Throne.  One of the great headphone songs of all-time is the instrumental AshtonLive and Learn is a song with a tremendous message and a powerful horn section.  And perhaps no song was ever more appropriate for endings- graduations, moving, leaving youth group- than Pray For Me, the final cut on the album.  "Pray for me and I'll pray for you, pray that we can keep the common ground.  Won't you pray for me and I'll pray for you, and one day love will bring us back around...again."  It's a truly inspirational song that I have to admit can still bring a tear to my eye.

OTHER RECOMMENDED ALBUMS FROM MICHAEL W. SMITH
Michael W. Smith Project-  1983*
The Big Picture-  1986
The Live Set-  1987
Go West Young Man-  1990*
Change Your World-  1992
I'll Lead You Home-  1995
Live the Life-  1998
This Is Your Time-  1999
Worship-  2001
Worship Again-  2002
Healing Rain-  2004
Stand-  2006
*indicates album also featured on this countdown

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!