Monday, March 1, 2010

7 Things: The Winter Olympics

Before I get to my thoughts on the 2010 Winter Olympics, I would like to wish a belated (it was yesterday) happy birthday to the best youth pastor I have ever known.  He's not famous, but he ought to be.  He hasn't written a book, but he could.  No books have been written about him, but they should be.  He has poured his life into loving kids in the name of Jesus, and I know of no one who does it with more creativity and passion.  I wish my son was growing up in his youth group.  Plus, he is never without a toothbrush and no one knows more about The Muppet Show.  Happy Birthday, Tim Vestal.  As always, my prayers are with you and Sarah.

The Olympics are over, and for two weeks they kept me glued to the TV (I cheated on them with American Idol, which was a terrible mistake because the talent on Idol is at an all-time low).  As I face a return to my regular schedule (which will NOT include The Tonight Show; please people, do not dignify what The Chin did to Conan by watching.  If you are awake at 11:35 PM, you should be watching Letterman like all good Americans...) here are 7 Things about the winter games that stood out to me.

1)  I enjoy figure skating (Marilyn LOVES it!) but what is the deal with ice dancing?  If you can't include a triple salchow as part of your program, then it should be discontinued as an event.  BORING!!!!  Everything is better with salchows...
2)  It is simply amazing how much better Shaun White is than anyone else in his sport.  He won the gold medal on his first run, and THEN did a trick no one has ever done before (or can do) just for fun.  I will, however, continue to call him The Flying Tomato.
3)  Is it just me, or does the Biathalon seem like something fraternity boys at Appalachian State made up after a keg party?  "Hey guys, we're drunk, so let's go skiing with rifles!"
4)  The Snowboard Cross, the Ski Cross and the Short Track Skating are all really cool events because the athletes get to race each other instead of a clock.  There should be more of that- and more crashes too!
5)  I realize that every four years Curling becomes an obsession, and I admit I watched my fair share.  But I have no idea why.  Maybe because NBC chose not to cover the Paint Drying events...and if they had they would have only shown us the American paint dryers, no matter how bad they were.  Much like the American curlers...
6)  The USA/Canada gold medal hockey game was amazing, and I called the ending.  About 10 seconds before Canada won, I told Will and Marilyn that I had a bad feeling that Sid the Kid was going to finish it...I hate being right!
7)  You have to love Canada.  It's a beautiful country; they have mounties, moose and their own weird bacon.  They made fun of their own faux pas from the opening ceremony at the closing ceremony.  They brought out Michael J. Fox, William Shatner, Neil Young and the Mom from Home Alone to represent them.  Everyone has health care.  And their national anthem kicks our national anthem's butt!  Sorry if you think I'm being a hoser;  you can just take off, eh!  I'm just saying...great job Vancouver!  Now it's back to How I Met Your Mother, Two and a Half Men, The Big Bang Theory (Bazinga!) and the return of Rules of Engagement tonight on CBS.  I may survive the post-Olympic letdown after all!

Until tomorrow,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!