Thursday, March 11, 2010

CCM Countdown: 9

We've reached number 9 on my countdown of the 50 Contemporary Christian Music albums that had the greatest impact on my life and ministry.  To see last week's post and get links taking you back to number 50, click here.

9)  AGE TO AGE-  Amy Grant-  1982
Amy Grant had been on the CCM scene for 5 years and 3 albums by the time Age To Age dropped in 1982, but the "Queen of Christian Music" ascended to new heights with its release. Produced by the legendary Brown Bannister, this project marked the beginning of a larger acceptance of CCM and catapulted Amy to super stardom.  I used several of these songs (especially El Shaddai) in a variety of ways over the years, and I still love this CD.

FEATURED SONGS
This remarkable album featured songs of faith and praise of a manner seldom seen on any one project.  In A Little While reassured us that God loves and is always there.  Sing Your Praise To the Lord (written by Rich Mullins) reminds us that in every stage of life, in every circumstance, God is to be praised.   The classic Fat Baby reminds us that unless we seek to grow spiritually we will always be babies in our faith; it's still a fan favorite at Amy's concerts.  I Have Decided (written by Michael Card) rocks and features the amazing chorus:  "I have decided I'm gonna' live like a believer, turn my back on the deceiver; I'm gonna' live what I believe.  I have decided that being good is just fable, I just can't 'cause I'm not able; I'm gonna' leave it to the Lord!"  And finally, this is the album that introduced us to one of the best songs ever written to honor God- El Shaddai (also written by Michael Card; see video at bottom).  the words El Shaddai mean "God Almighty" and the song chronicles the work of God among men throughout the Bible.  It ends by reminding us "though Your Word contained the plan they just could not understand that Your most awesome work was done through the frailty of Your Son..."  The song still gives me chills every time I hear it or sing it.

OTHER RECOMMENDED AMY GRANT ALBUMS
Amy Grant- 1977
A Christmas Album-  1983
Unguarded-  1985
Lead Me On-  1988*
Heart In Motion-  1991
Behind the Eyes-  1997
Simple Things-  2003
* indicates albums featured in this countdown

1 comment:

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!