Sunday, November 1, 2009

Weekend in New England

In the weeks following Live Aid (see July 13, 1985) I began to feel more and more conviction that God was calling me back to youth ministry.  I wanted so badly to make a difference in the world.  This was all fine and good, but I still had no clue as to how or where I could find a ministry position.  David Stone and a couple of other youth ministry professionals suggested I try a different denomination with more opportunities, but in 1985 I was still very loyal to the Quakers.  There were so few full time youth ministry jobs among Friends that I questioned whether or not opportunity would ever come my way.  I sent out some letters enquiring about possibilities, but nothing I heard in return gave me much hope.  Then one day in October of '85 I was reading Quaker Life magazine and saw that New England Yearly Meeting of Friends (NEYM) was looking for a Religious Education and Youth Secretary.  This person would work out of the Yearly Meeting office, providing leadership, training and support to every Quaker meeting in New England, as well as planning special events for youth.  My heart skipped a beat with excitement at the thought of the position; for the next few days I prayed hard about applying.

There were a number of reasons NOT to apply.  I had not finished my degree, having become disenchanted with programs that taught me nothing about student ministry.  I knew very little about the NEYM, or about New England itself.  I wasn't even sure which states made up the region!  I did know NEYM was quite different from NCYM; most of the Meetings did not have pastors and none had youth pastors.  Even on the off chance that they would have any interest in me, I wasn't sure I could handle the differences.  Plus, leaving NC would mean leaving Marilyn behind, and that was not a happy thought.  Nonetheless, I decide to send them a resume.

Despite not having a degree, my resume for that position was pretty impressive.  My Quaker Lake experience, my New Garden experience, my training in Serendipity Small Groups and Serendipity Bible Study, my work with Young Life and New Games all set me apart from many of the candidates.  The time spent at the National Youth Workers Convention and with David Stone gave me an education few other Quakers had at the time.  I had also served a three year term on the Friends United Meeting Wider Ministries Commission, which had given me a great overview of what Quakers were up to all over the world.  I suppose all of that was enough, because they invited me to fly up for an interview in November, and I accepted.  I was off to, as Barry Manilow might say, my weekend in New England!
I flew into Boston (landing at Logan Airport scared me to death; I thought we were landing in the harbor!) and was picked up there by a young woman named Chris Jorgensen.  As we drove the hour plus to Worcester for the interviews, I discovered that Chris had been quite active as a volunteer in the youth programs of NEYM for several years.  I also discovered that she was also applying for the position.  As we talked, I realized two things right away- I really liked her and thought working with her could be great, and that SHE should get this job!  It was not the last time I would have such a feeling at a job interview.  The interview went well.  The committee was a little overwhelmed with my knowledge of current trends and patterns in youth ministry and education.  I discovered later that they were looking for someone who could deal with the two very different sides of NEYM.  One side wanted more spiritual depth and biblical understanding; the other side, which had been dominant for years, was into social justice that might or might not be based on the teachings of Jesus.  My experience with both scratched them right where they itched, and in early December I was offered the job.  Chris and I talked at length as she drove me back to the airport, and we decided that if indeed I got the job she would continue her current role.  That was very important to me as I prayed about the situation.  Despite some misgivings, I felt like God had led me to them and that they needed me.  So I accepted.

I could not have known what the next nine months would be like.  I did not foresee that I would go from being a fairly liberal Quaker in NC to the most conservative man in NEYM!  I wasn't yet clear on what moving to Massachusetts would mean for Marilyn and me.  And mostly I was CLUELESS about the things God was going to teach me about myself, my faith and my relationship with Jesus in those few short months.  For the next week or so we will focus on my time in New England.  I hope you will come along for the ride!

Because of Jesus,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!