Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Finest Kind


Benjamin Franklin Pierce (better known as Hawkeye), the main character on the TV classic M*A*S*H, would often talk about his home state of Maine.  When describing the people and places of the state, he would often utter the phrase "finest kind."  I was never quite sure what it meant, but I always assumed it was the Maine version of "awesome."  Turns out Maine simply is awesome.  I have said many times over the years that if my office had been in Maine and not Worcester, Mass, I might still be there!  Forgive my stereotyping, but the people of Maine offer the closest thing to "southern hospitality" I have ever met outside of the south.  The scenery is breathtaking- witness the Portland Lighthouse above.  The rocky beaches, the snow covered landscape and the great unspoiled north all are etched in my mind.  I just have to say it- finest kind!


Louis and Clarabelle Marsteller had worked for New England Yearly Meeting for many years before retiring in the early '80's.  They ran a little motel near the beach in Freeport, and very early on in my time in New England they invited me to come stay with them.  Louis, as much as anyone I met during my time with NEYM, understood the politics and theology of the Yearly Meeting, and understood how difficult it would be for me to fit in.  He and Clarabelle taught me, encouraged me, and invited me to come visit anytime.  Freeport quickly became my favorite place.  Many of you may recognize it as the home of L.L. Bean, the great outdoor gear catalog company.  I visited the store on several occasions, most memorably with Marilyn and my parents on July 4, 1986.  We also watched the Freeport 4th of July Parade together, wearing sweatshirts and shivering a bit!  Freeport was also close to Durham Friends Meeting, one of the few meetings in NEYM with a pastor.  Ralph Greene became a friend and a prayer partner as I struggled to find my ministry there.  I have already mentioned is a previous posting the name of Tom Ewell, who was my boss as I began my work and remained my friend throughout my short stay in the region.  Tom and his family lived in Portland, and I visited them on several occasions, including driving from Worcester to Portland in a blizzard...not bad for a southern boy!  But Maine was not the only thing I enjoyed about New England.


I watched the 1986 Super Bowl in Tom's home as the Chicago Bears destroy the New England Patriots.  Sports were one of the things that kept me sane over the nine months I sojourned in the great north.  The Patriots made the Super Bowl, the Celtics won the NBA title, and the Red Sox were headed to the World Series!  It was quite a year to be in Massachusetts.  I went to several Red Sox games at Fenway Park, including a game against the Angels in which I got to see Reggie Jackson hit a home run off of Tom Seaver.  Talk about your all-star moments!  I also saw Roger Clemens pitch twice in what was his breakout season. The Sox eventually lost in 7 games to the Mets.  Being a good Christian, I forgave Bill Buckner early on...of course I was back in NC by then!  New England sports fans like the Patriots. They love the Celtics.  But the Red Sox are a matter of life and death, and for so many years they suffered.  Bill Simmons said it all after they finally won the World Series in 2004- "Now I can die in peace."

There were a lot of things I enjoyed about New England.  Unfortunately, few of them had much to do with my job.  The wind of change was blowing.  By June, a letter was in the mail that would change everything...as soon as God had my full attention! 

Because of Jesus,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!