Saturday, November 28, 2009

Visions


The spring of 1987 was an interesting time for the youth ministry of Springfield Friends Meeting.  Things were coming together well, and a solid student leadership core was emerging.  The middle school kids were becoming more and more involved and our Sunday afternoon Youth Fellowship meetings were growing. But we still needed a vision for the future of our ministry. It was time to start planning the next steps- I just needed God to let me in on exactly what the next steps were...

After much prayer and discussion, it was decided that we would take a group to Walt Disney World in the summer of 1987.  The Friends United Meeting Triennial Sessions were being held in nearby Greensboro in June of '87, and for the first time a first rate youth program would be happening at the event.  I would be leading music, so it was only natural to take a group.  I would also be Camp Pastor for a week at Quaker Lake Camp.  The summer was coming together nicely.  But there was so much more God had planned for us!

I had a dream one night that became my vision for youth ministry at Springfield.  In it, we were the home of Christ-centered youth activity for the entire High Point/Archdale area.  We had exciting summer programs and trips, and we would offer a ministry that would draw in students from all over the community.  The Disney trip would be the first step in the casting of this vision.  God was leading us on an exciting journey.

Over the next week I will tell you stories from that Disney trip, from Triennials and from camp.  I will share how God used all of those events to set the stage for what was to come at Springfield.  I will share how a group of esteemed Quaker youth workers almost lost their jobs over a belly dancer.  I will tell you the true, yet unbelievable story of the great Hickey Search.  And most importantly, I will tell you how God's vision for the youth ministry of Springfield was about to change a community.  Come along for the ride!

Because of Jesus,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!