Saturday, September 15, 2012

Saturday Shout Outs!

September is half over, the baseball pennant races are hotter than ever, football season is in full swing and in places other than Florida the weather is beginning to cool. It's a great time of year, and a great time for another edition of my Saturday Shout Outs! Strapped in? Then here we go...

  • Today is Bethany Esry's (FUMC-Kissimmee) wedding day!  Our thoughts are with her (along with sister Caitlin, Julia Pribyl and others) on the beach in South Florida today!
  • Next up, some birth news!  Justin Whitaker (Springfield Friends Meeting) and his wife Erin welcomed baby boy Riley to the world on September 12. At 10 pounds, 2 ounces he was the exact same weight as Will Jones, and at 22 inches only one inch shorter!  Prayers and congratulations to the whole Whitaker clan, including grandparents Denny & Brenda, aunts Traci & Natalie and uncle Jeffrey.
  • Speaking of Will Jones, he has finally been dragging kicking and screaming into the world of Facebook by his friends.  Feel free to send him a friend request, but I can make no promises. Marilyn is not on that list just yet.  Lisa Jewett, however, has been accepted- and she won't top bragging about it!  She's so special...
  • We are still trying to put together another Reunion Planning Meeting for the alumni of the FUMC-Kissimmee group.  It will need to be on a Saturday in October, and the 20th is out.  I would love a suggestion from someone- the reunion is coming April 20-21, 2013!  And it really needs to be at a time when Kelly Jeck Trace (also known as the Queen of Kissimmee) can join us with her wealth of information.  So everyone, check with Kelly, and then tell me when!  :)
  • More birth news!  Hamp Sessions (FUMC-K) & wife Laura welcomed Henry Hampton Sessions to Florida on September 10.  Aunt Jocelyn is apparently doing well...
  • Tomorrow is the birthday of one of my oldest and dearest friends, Beth Vestal McGalliard. She graduated high school only one year behind me, but strangely is still just now turning 29 years old.  I wrote a post about her and some other high school friends from New Garden Friends Meeting 3 years ago, and you can revisit it by clicking here.  Love you, Beth!
  • Speaking of old friends, I continue to have a blast catching up with Jennifer Wood Jones (Springfield Friends Meeting) via texts.  She and her family have really lousy taste in sports teams (they cheer for Duke...ugh!), but otherwise it has been a real joy to hear all about what they are up to and revisit some great old times with Woodhead.  This text messaging stuff is pretty cool.  :)
  • Jennifer (FUMC-K) & Jun Kuramochi, it is time for some Red Robin. Pick a date. Let's do this thing!  
  • Did you read my John Denver post this week? If not, check it out here and then tell me- what is your favorite JD song or memory?
  • For those of you who are afraid I might be growing up, I should tell you that I cannot wait to see Finding Nemo 3D tomorrow!!!
  • I haven't mentioned it lately, but we continue to observe the Taco Tuesdaze holiday every week at the Tijuana Flats in Westchase. Lisa, Marilyn and I usually get there between 7:15 and 7:30 pm.  If you live in Tampa, are vacationing in Tampa or would like to drive to Tampa, come join us!  All are welcome!!!
  • Yesterday I named Drew and Andrea Ward as the Best Couple on Twitter.  It was just something that had to be done.  I love social media. I just declare it, and it is so.  How cool is that!!!
  • It has been an amazing few weeks here on the blog. I've written posts that stirred up arguments about barbecue, sports and politics. I remembered the great trip from Wesley Memorial UMC to Ground Zero as we honored the fallen heroes of 9/11.  I wrote about the one thing I really know anything about- youth ministry.  And with each of these posts I continue to be astonished at the the number of people reading.  Even after 3 years of blogging every day, I still love it!
  • Twitter continues to play an important role in my life as well.  I get so much encouragement and support from my friends there.  And even though I have met only a few of them, I do consider them friends- or in some cases, family.   I am so blessed!
  • And finally, Ben Thompson (FUMC-K) was married to Rachel last weekend in Pennsylvania. We think. I mean we know they were married, we think it was last weekend.  Ben was not very forthcoming with details on Facebook.  But anyway, congratulations Ben and Rachel and we look forward to seeing you here in Florida before too long.  Because eventually, everyone comes to Florida...
That's the news and I am outta here!

Because of Jesus,

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Jocelyn. I do try to keep up with all the craziness. Hope you and your family are surviving Alabama!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!