Monday, May 7, 2012

Hall of Fame: UBD

UBD and a just confirmed Will Jones, 2007
There have been very few people who have made my Youth Group Hall of Fame that I never knew when they were youth.  There have been even fewer church staff members inducted. In fact, up until today, there had been one: Andrew Lewis.  But today's honoree meets both of those standards.  He is also the initial inductee from my brief stay (2006-2007) at the Trinity United Methodist Church of Waycross, GA.  With all of these rare credentials, you know it must be someone special.  And David White is certainly that...  


In late 2005, as I began the process of interviewing for the youth pastor position at TUMC, David was the first person I spoke with.  Thought he was the Associate Pastor, he seemed light years ahead of the Senior Pastor in terms of energy and knowledge.  He arranged the interviews, scheduled my trips to Waycross, and served as a one man panel for some of my toughest questions.  After I was hired, David quickly became my closest friend in town and my go-to guy on all things Waycross.   He and his lovely wife Tina taught me about crucial local issues like how to avoid getting trapped by one of the 1000 trains that pass through town each day;  the best places to eat; the places to avoid; and what life was like in a small town in south Georgia.  Perhaps most importantly, he taught me the wonders of eating at the Rodeo Mexican Restaurant for Sunday lunch.  :)   He was my "Waycross Mentor," even though we were basically the same age. And when it came time (after I had already been there 6 months) to move my family up from Tampa, David drove the truck and helped carry the boxes.  He was always there for me.


He was also my TUMC mentor.  No matter the person or the ministry of TUMC, David knew about them.  He knew because he cared and was involved.  He guided me through the minefield that is learning the parents of any youth group.  He taught me the history of student ministry at Trinity, the good and the bad.  He helped me understand the sacred cows that exist in every church.  He introduced me at every turn, and championed my ministry at every chance.  David knew the students in that church better than anyone, and they LOVED him.  Kids of all ages called him UBD, which was short for Uncle Big Dave.  His contributions to our student ministry during my short stay were impossible to count; his contributions before I came and I after I was gone are the stuff of legend.


UBD is one of those rare people who God created to be in ministry.  He grew up in the Baptist church and was ordained there.  In fact, the final straw for me in regards to the way the UMC does ordination came when they gave him so many obstacles and hoops to jump through to transfer his ordination that he finally had to just give up.  Any church organization that doesn't make it easy for David White to be a part of it is simply messed up.   In addition to his work with children and youth, he also served as the director of the Keenagers, a music ministry for senior citizens.  At various points in time he served TUMC as interim, organist, youth pastor and choir director.  He is a wonderful preacher with a real ability to connect with all ages.  He was at every event- every church dinner, every softball game, every committee meeting.  And he is one of the nicest guys you could ever meet.  He loves that church, and they love him.  Senior Pastors have come and gone, but as long as David is there the members feel a peace and a stability.  


But David is not being inducted into my Hall of Fame today just for those wonderful reasons.  UBD is being honored because of what he did after my life fell apart and I was gone from TUMC.  When I was unable to do many things to help take care of my family during those weeks, David did.  He made certain Will got to Confirmation Class, a Confirmation Retreat, and to youth group.  He made sure that members of the church rallied around Marilyn and Will and loved and supported them while I was away.  Even after we moved back to Tampa, he continued to stay in touch with Will and make sure things were going well.  In short, David was Jesus with skin to my family.  I can never thank him enough for that.  But I can give him his rightful place in my Hall of Fame.  Thanks for everything, UBD.  My entire family (including Conner) sends their love.  And we have picked out some great places to eat for next time you and Tina are in Tampa...


Because of Jesus,

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous5/07/2012

    Awww, shucks; 'tweren't nuttin' but a thang! All the same, thanks to you, Marilyn, Will, Conner, the embers of the Academy, the Heirarchy in every place - Oh yeah, and God (or Little Baby Jesus, laying in his manger)

    Always and forever Nothing But Love..........Oh, I could use some lunch about now!
    UBD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lunch would be good. Hope to be up your way before too long to wrap up some things. We will talk soon!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous5/10/2012

    do tell cj - does that mean things are FINALLY coming to closure? been praying hard(er) lately!!! "moe"

    ReplyDelete
  3. We really won't know anything for sure until we get there, Moe. :) But we are working on it. And thanks for the prayers!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!