Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Hall of Fame: Andrew Lewis


Andrew, Mickey and I at the Grand Floridian
for a Youth Ministry Team Christmas Party!
 It was my pleasure over the many years that I served churches to work with many outstanding and wonderful people. There were great people whose company I truly enjoyed.  There were people of great spiritual depth that taught me so much.  There were people who were gifted and called to their particular ministry in ways that were truly remarkable.  There were those who became dear friends.  But there were only a handful of co-workers who fit all of those descriptions- and one of them was Andrew Lewis.  Today I want to tell you a little about Andrew and welcome him to my Youth Group Hall of Fame!

I met Andrew the day I interviewed at FUMC-Kissimmee in early 1994.  He was on crutches- the result of a youth ski trip accident.  At the time he was the interim youth director, part-time church organist and full-time elementary school teacher.  But I learned very quickly that Andrew's passion was the church and church music.  Within a couple of years of our first meeting he became the Minister of Music at FUMC-K and my best friend in the church.  He continued to be involved with the youth for the 6 years I served that church, leading a youth choir, a praise band and often providing leadership in non-musical ways as well.  We shared many adventures at Disney World, eating lunch with the church's support staff, at Kyoto's, on the One Day Week Long Choir Tour and in the praise choir he began and Marilyn and I sang in, Joyful Praise.

But the reasons Andrew joins the HOF today are the ways in which he prayerfully and creatively encouraged myself and our entire staff to go beyond what we knew and seek God's leading to reach people for Jesus in new and better ways. Even as he directed traditional choirs and handbell groups, he helped push the church towards exploring new music and new ways to worship.  Together we got the staff reading Len Sweet's groundbreaking book SoulTsunami.  Together we started a small group that sought to discover the faith themes in "non-Christian" movies. I especially think of him this time of year, because his creativity always seemed to hit new heights at Christmas (see Only One More Sleep).  He put together special nights of music, drama and cheesecake that drew sold out crowds to multiple performances.  He designed worship services for our 4 Christmas Eve services each year that always left me amazed and blessed.  And when Andrew sang "O Holy Night" on Christmas Eve, you knew it was time to celebrate the arrival of the Christ-child!

Andrew remained at FUMC-K after my departure, but not for long.  The Pastor Who Shall Not Be Named convinced the Staff-Parish Committee that Andrew was a problem, and they fired him on a Sunday morning right after worship.  That truth is that Andrew was still trying to follow God's leadings and be creative in an atmosphere where those things were neither desired nor tolerated.  He has since gone on to great success in ministry at other churches.  He is now married, and he and his wife Lynn live in Hickory, NC.  We stayed in touch for many years, always trying to get together around Christmas.  It has been a few years now, and I miss him terribly.  It's a very poor substitute for seeing him, but the least I can do is to take this opportunity to welcome him to my Hall of Fame- the first staff member so honored!  Merry Christmas, Andrew- you're the best!

Jesus- the only hope for me is you...and You alone!

4 comments:

  1. So right! Andrew was AWESOME!!! I loved hearing him sing anything, but "Oh Holy Night" truly was amazing with his voice. He is missed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12/15/2010

    Andrew was the best!! I remember holiday caroling at the local supermarkets but most of all him singing "O holy night" at the candlelight services on Christmas Eve. That service has NEVER been the same to me without him there singing that hymn!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are so right! And the caroling at Publix was a lot of fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12/17/2010

    Yay for Andrew! I've thought about him many times over the years, glad to hear he is doing well. Welcome to the Hall of Fame!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!