Sunday, May 20, 2012

Home Where She Belongs

Last Sunday on Mother's Day I told you about my "other" mother, Gene Semmler, and her battle with cancer.  Gene passed away yesterday afternoon.  Her son, my long-time best friend Steve, called me from NC with the news last night.  I immediately texted the news to a couple of other old friends, Beth McGalliard and Denise Langley, that I knew would want to know.  While we were texting, Steve called them as well.  We all talked about our connections and our love for one another, and for Gene and her husband Hank.  I hate that I cannot be in NC to be with my friends- and especially Steve and his brother Carl.  If my situation were different, I would be hitting the road first thing this morning. I want to be there so badly.  But my situation is what it is, and I cannot go.  And that (pardon the expression) sucks.


Steve's words to me last night when he called was that Gene's passing was "neither unexpected nor unwelcome."  I remember those feelings well from seeing my own father so sick in his last days.  As I thought and prayed last night, I was reminded of a song I had not thought of in a very long time.  Another friend of ours from that same high school/college period of my life, Alan Brown, was asked to sing the song Home Where I Belong at a funeral once, and I remember how emotional the song made me.  Suddenly last night, 30 years later, the lyrics came flooding back to me and I was comforted once again.  Gene has gone home.  She will not suffer anymore, and she is safe in the arms of a loving God.  I will always remember all that she and her family meant to my life, and I will mourn her passing.  But I know that this is not good-bye, it is only "See you later."  My prayers are with Steve, Carl and Hank as they face this together.  Enjoy the song. Pay close attention to the lyrics on the video.  Celebrate with me the life of Gene Semmler.





Because of Jesus,

2 comments:

  1. As I deal with my mother's illnesses these days I am coming more and more to understand his words. Losing a loved one is never easy, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, never easy. But the words are a great comfort, aren't they?

      Delete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!