Sunday, May 1, 2011

Defining Joy

Last night, while walking the dog in an amazing evening breeze, I found myself thinking about joy and how to define it.  A blissful image entered my mind.  I was transported to North Myrtle Beach, SC, and one of my favorite places in the world- the three story house known as The Betsy B.  I was sitting on the oceanfront porch, starring out at a full moon over the Atlantic Ocean and playing my guitar while people I love gathered around me.  And I thought about how happy those moments always made me.  But is that truly joy?  Today I bring you words from Lois Cheney's 1969 devotional masterpiece God Is No Fool (Abingdon Press) that seek to answer the question- what is joy?

Joy is a old-fashioned word.  What did it used to mean?

Like "happy" maybe?  Or was it "silly" and "giggly?"  Could just anyone get to it?  Or was it buried in book and brow?

I wish I knew what it used to mean,  for I need a word- a good, solid word that shows how I feel when the day is over, and I've worked well and I'm so glad to be tired.

I need a word for when I've spent hours and hours with those I love, and I'm talk-sore and smile-aching.  I need a word for when I'm alone, and over the miles are parts of my heart, deep in others who are warm, safe and at peace.

I need a word for when a job looms like a greyhound and I can do it, and I want to do it, and I tingle to get at it.  I need a word for that warm, gentle flow that covers every corner of my being.  And says, "Lo, I am with you always."

I need a word.  Real bad.  And I think it might be "joy."

Or maybe it's God.  Then again, maybe they're the same word...

Because of Jesus,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!