Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Youth Ministry Team

I had served Springfield Friends Meeting for eight years as their Director of Youth and Christian Education.  During that time my primary role had been that of youth pastor, but I also had other responsibilities.  Many other responsibilities.  I had had been the coordinator of Sunday School, recruiting teachers, picking curriculum and ordering supplies.  I had led the Family Life Committee, planning events for the church family, including our regular Wednesday night suppers.  I had worked with our senior citizens group, the Neighborly Club.  I had organized and directed our Wednesday after-school program for elementary students.  I did the "Children's Moment" every Sunday morning during worship.  And I would preach when the senior pastor was away.  I stayed busy.

My job at the First United Methodist Church of Kissimmee was much less frazzled.  I was the Director of Youth Ministries.  That was it.  My task was to minister to and plan programs, trips and events for 6th -12th grade students.  This was my passion and my calling, and I would finally be able to give it all of my energy and not feel like I was slighting another ministry.  I was so psyched to be in this new position.  But there was one part of this student ministry that would be very different for me.  I was going to have help.

The "Youth Ministry Team" at Springfield had been very easy to communicate with, since I lived with her.  You see, Marilyn was often the only help I had with the youth there.  We would get parents to help on trips, and we did hire a couple of interns over the years, but for the most part it was just me and my wife.  At FUMC-K, the Youth Ministry Team was ready and waiting when I arrived.  Rev. John Willis had sent me a list of those who were helping out while they were waiting on me.  The list included Cathy Thacker, Andrew Lewis, Karen Biddle, Kay Hill, Jill Painter, Brad Watson and Carlene Heck.  It also mentioned a college student named Jerry Hanbery who might be around to help (although that first summer he led his own youth group in Orlando) and Pete Lynes, who worked some with Andrew and the youth choir.  Karen Hall would also re-join the team soon after my arrival, and Becky Watson and Michael McCleery would be around once college classes were over in May.  And Darin Miller was on the way!  It seemed like a cast of thousands to me, and I wasn't exactly sure how to proceed.  It became clear to me very quickly that all of these folks were helping because they loved Jesus, the youth, the church.  They wanted me to give them leadership and guidance.  They wanted to see our ministry make a difference.  We held a retreat at Alligator Lake (thanks to Dick and Kay Simmons) in early May, and we could feel God working among us to create His vision for youth ministry at FUMC-K.

My new role became that of "Shepherd" to this group of adults. They would serve as teachers and mentors and smalll group leaders.  And I would serve them.  I loved every minute of it.  Our monthly Youth Counselor meetings were always eventful and worthwhile, with lots of food and fun.  Our retreats were legendary, and you will read more about them in later posts here.   We would lose people as time went by, but there were always new folks (Karen Fry, Mark McKenna, Cindy Martin, Janet Cook, Wayne Cook, Sandi Lynch, Mike Mangun, Carol Kraus, Matt Schmidt, Dana Schmidt and more) ready to step up and fill the void.  In my six years at FUMC-K, I never lacked for help, and I still thank God for all of those with whom who I was privileged to share that ministry.   The picture at the top is from a Youth Counselor Christmas party in 1998 (I think) at The Grand Floridian.  You will hear more about many of these amazing people in the days to come.  They were not only co-workers; they were my best friends.

There was still one more job I had yet to learn about.  I was going to get to work with Hollywood...

Because of Jesus,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!