Thursday, April 29, 2010

CCM Countdown: 4A

Today my countdown of the 50 (OK, so it's more like 60 with all the ties!) Contemporary Christian Music albums that had the greatest impact on my life and ministry. This is our second number 4; we will move on to #3 next Thursday- and there will be no more ties!  To see last week's post and get links all the way back to the beginning, click here!

4)  THE GREAT ADVENTURE-  Steven Curtis Chapman-  1992
I was only vaguely aware of SC2 when I cam across this project in 1992, but it quickly became one of my favorites.  I used the title track on a couple of slide shows, including the epic 1993 Magic Tour show.  I also performed two of the songs in worship at FUMC-K.  The CD had a profound influence on my theology, my ministry and my musical tastes.  I still love it.

FEATURED SONGS
The album begins with Prologue, an instrumental that sounds like something out of a sweeping western epic and builds until we hear those first words:  "Saddle up your horses!"  The Great Adventure takes off, and is a song about living life for Jesus with passion and zest.  The lyrics never cease to inspire me; "Come on get ready for the ride of your life.  Gonna' leave long-faced religion in a cloud of dust behind...This is life like no other, this is the great adventure!"  Where We Belong talks about finding our place in God's world; That's Paradise speaks of how living for Jesus can bring heaven to earth; and Still Called Today reminds us that following Jesus didn't go out of style with the disciples.  Walk With the Wise encourages us to know the scriptures and hang out with people of God.  And Got To B Tru features a hilarious "rap battle" between SC2 and Toby Mac of dc Talk that reminds us to be ourselves.  And my classic "bonus" CD has a medley of a bunch of Steven's early songs performed at the Dove Awards in Nashville.  A truly great album.

OTHER RECOMMENDED ALBUMS FROM STEVEN CURTIS CHAPMAN
Real Life Conversations-   1988
More To This Life-   1989
For the Sake of the Call-   1990
Heaven In the Real World-  1994*
Signs of Life-   1996
Speechless-   1998*
Declaration-   2001
All About Love-   2003
All Things New-   2004
*indicates albums also included in this countdown


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!