Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Hall of Fame: The Class of '96

I could see them coming.  Every so often, when you are a youth pastor, you look into the future and see a large group of 4th or 5th grade students that you know are going to make a difference in your ministry.  I met the class of 1996 when they were about 8 years old and they were a part of the Quaker Kids Club at Springfield Friends Meeting.  And I was right.  They were a very special group, many of whom played huge roles in the stories you have already read on this blog.  Today I honor all of them with induction into my my personal Youth Group Hall of Fame.  Four of them (Holly, Jill, Allison and Beth) are pictured above- and yes I know the picture is a repeat!

They became a part of our youth ministry as 6th graders in August of 1989, and for the next few years the older kids referred to them as "the 6th graders."  Because there were so many of them, they often dominated our medium sized group with sheer volume- they were LOUD!  We already had built relationships from the years in the children's ministry, and so they hit the ground running. They couldn't wait to be a part of TNT, YFYF and everything else we did.  Many of them had older siblings who were also active, and they loved driving them crazy.  And I loved every minute of it!

Beth Brown, Jill Gilbreth, Mary Mercadante, Allison Rees and Ben Moran were all cousins and the grandchildren of my boss, Max Rees, and each of them were very special to me. Beth, Mary and Ally all lit up every room they ever entered with their smiles and their love.  Jill was the life of every event she ever attended, and there is nothing quite like listening to her tell a "Jill Story."  I loved seeing Ben's basketball and soccer games at Trinity High School.  Marie Allen, Tammy Edwards and Cheryl Deal were three friends who became active when the Allen family became a part of Springfield, and they were a special part of what made TNT (and later MARS) so good.  Ryan Simmons had an older sister (Robin) who had been part of the youth family.  Ann Saunders' family was part of the Meeting, and her older sister Amy was involved with us.  Friends of these students who became involved through TNT included Carrie Burton, Dana Oxendine, Matt Walden, Donald Fleischman and many others.  This class comprised the core of the 1991 and 1992 Myrtle Beach trips and the 1993 Disney trip.  They were a blast to be around and some of my favorite youth ever.  And I haven't even mentioned Holly Harward, who came to us as a friend of Beth Brown.

Holly was special to Marilyn and I for a couple of reasons.  Her parents, Rick and Nancy, were strong supporters and good friends, even though they didn't attend Springfield.  And later, after we moved to Kissimmee, Holly lived with us the summer Will was born, and was a very special part of our family. 

So today I induct all of these special people (and anyone I may have forgotten from the Class of '96) into my Hall of Fame.  You were a very special part of our lives.  I am just sorry I was not around to see you graduate...but I decided to mess with happy.  That story begins Friday.

Because of Jesus,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!