Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Hollywood

I don't really remember how it happened to me. It may have been one of those jobs you get when you don't know that you should just say NO!   I know that when I arrived at FUMC-K there was a bit of a controversy about how John Willis did the children's sermon each Sunday.  He often used a muppet-type character named Hollywood to help him teach.  Hollywood did not have many fans among the adults of the congregation.  He wore a cowboy hat and a red bandanna and glasses (I can't believe I don't have a picture of him to share). They thought he was silly and childish (Yes, I know, and I'm coming back to how ridiculous that sounds) and that he took away from worship.  Some of the leadership even demanded that Hollywood's appearances be cut back.  Even the youth liked to pick on John and kidnapped Hollywood from time to time.  Somehow, it the midst of all this turmoil, I became the straight man for John and his muppet on Sundays.  It was quite a ride!

You see, when you were up on the platform talking with John and Hollywood, things could get very strange.  First of all, it was often hard to know who you were talking to.  John was no ventriloquist; his mouth was always moving, and their voices were not all that different; at least until Hollywood got excited.  It took me a while to learn who to respond to.  Add in the unpredictability of the kids who would join us up front, and every week was a circus!  I could almost understand why some people thought the whole thing was a little over the top...

But here's the deal; to the children that his messages were aimed at, Hollywood was a rock star!  They got him.  They could repeat everything he said to them.  I would walk across our campus during the week and the kids in our church school and child care would yell at me, "HEY!!!  You know Hollywood!"  It was amazing.  The more I was part of it, the more I came to understand what I came to call The Hollywood Principle.

The Hollywood Principle states that if we want children and youth to be a part of our churches. then we need to be willing to give up things for them.  For instance, if we want youth to feel like they are important in worship, then some of the music should reflect their tastes.  If adults are not willing to give up some of their preferences, we send a very negative message.  Hollywood taught me that.  He seemed "childish" because he was there for the children!  It really didn't matter if the adults "got him" or not- that is not who he was there for.  John Willis understood that is a big way.  We were never just "winging it" on Sunday mornings; we would work on the children's moment every Monday and Thursday, and then practice again at 8 AM on Sunday.  This moment of ministry connected John to the children of the church in ways you cannot imagine unless you sat where I sat on Sunday mornings.  It was an honor to be a part of it all. 

Hanging around with Hollywood was always cool, but never better than when I got to go into the recording studio with him...that story is coming Friday.

Because of Jesus,

5 comments:

  1. If anyone happens to have a pic of Hollywood, please pass it along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jocelyn4/29/2010

    I'm guessing that Todd would very happily pass Hollywood himself along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jocelyn, if Todd has him, he is no longer in one piece! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Carl! I will look for a pic of Hollywood. I can, however, report that my brother and I spoke at my dad's retirement and informed the congregation that - in my opinion - the silver lining in my dad's retirement was that Hollywood would have to retire too. :)

    Hope you are doing well. Love the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Todd. And if you do find a picture, please send it along. It saddens me to think of your Dad (and Hollywood) being retired!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!