Monday, July 6, 2015

Create In Me


One of my very favorite youth group worship songs was a little chorus called Create In Me. I often used it to close out singing and worship times, because it was such a simple prayer. This was yet another song I learned from the godfather of group singing, Yohann "YO" Anderson, the man behind the Songs & Creations songbooks. It was written by Mary Rice Hopkins, who went on to become a very popular writer and singer of children's songs. I was blessed to hear her sing it in person once in the middle of the exhibit hall at a NYWC. Even in the midst of that chaos, the song created a sacred space. It is based on Psalm 51:10-12 which reads:


Create in me a pure heart, O God
and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Do not cast me from your presence
or take your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation
and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.

Psalm 51 is a song of David. David is one of the great men of the Old Testament. He slayed Goliath. He became King of the people of Israel. He led his people through many difficult times and many terrible battles. He was called "a man after God's own heart." He wrote many of the Psalms. He also committed adultery and had the husband of the woman killed. In other words, David was like us. Sometimes a sinner, sometimes a saint. And that is what makes these words so special. David knew he needed his heart cleaned- just as we all do! And we know we cannot do it on our own. We need Jesus.

I don't know that I ever played and sang this song without getting at least one tear in my eye. Most often I was looking out at a youth group singing along with me, and I could not help but sing this song for the students that I knew were lost and hurting. Over the past decade it has become a daily prayer for me. "Create in me a clean heart, O God, that I might serve you..." I invite you to pray this prayer with me today and every day. Have a blessed Monday.

Because of Jesus,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!