Saturday, April 11, 2015

Saturday Shout Outs!

Happy Saturday friends and neighbors, and welcome to another edition of the Shout Outs! I hope that April has been good to you so far and that you all had a fabulous Easter. Life is good here, with summertime temps and lots of sunshine. The last 14 days have seen lots of traffic here at the blog, with my Holy Week posts getting lots of attention. Also, the first two entries in my Things I Believe (and you probably don't!) series- Haven't We Been Here Before & Do We Even WANT to be Like Jesus? - are two of my most read posts ever. It's exciting to know people are responding to what I write, and it makes me want to keep pushing the envelope and writing what I believe. But now it's time to shout. LOUD! Here we go!

  • My prayers and love go out to two very special women in NC, both of whom I have known for many years, who share a September 10th birthday and a battle against cancer. Leigh Ann Venable (Quaker Lake) and Lisa Moran (New Garden Friends) are inspiring so many with their faith, strength and courage as they battle this horrible disease. Please keep them and their families in your thoughts and prayers. #CancerSucks
  • My favorite new album in a very long time came out on Tuesday, and I cannot stop listening! Brian Wilson, the founder of The Beach Boys, released No Pier Pressure featuring collaborations with a number of artists including Nate Ruess of FUN. and former Beach Boys Al Jardine, David Marks and Blondie Chaplin. If you like great melodies and amazing vocals, check it out. Soooo good...
  • Congratulations to Elizabeth Tillman Barwick (TNT/Springfield Friends) on the birth of a son, Tillman Frederick Barwick, on April 3rd. Mom and baby are doing well, and we celebrate with the family!
  • Where the heck did National Siblings Day come from? I had never heard of it before yesterday. And when is National I Only Have 7 Toes Day?  Just saying...
  • I was just wondering this week- can Lisa Kraus Spires (FUMC-Kissimmee) still eat her weight in crab legs? We need to get together soon and find out, Lisa! My mind is so odd...
  • OK baseball fans, I need your help. My Tampa Bay Rays have a really good chance of being awful this season. I will continue to support them, but I am looking for a back-up plan featuring a team that might actually be in a pennant race at the end of the summer. Nominations are now being accepted, but I'm leaning toward the Tigers because they have David Price and the Padres because they have Wil Myers - both ex-Rays whom I loved. But I am willing to listen to other arguments.
  • Speaking of baseball...do any of my former Springfield Friends Meeting youth remember the night we went to a Braves/Dodgers doubleheader in Atlanta and the TBS cameras caught some of you sleeping in the stadium seats?  Good times...
  • Hey old friends from my days as a youth at New Garden Friends Meeting- remember the time we raced our way back from Myrtle Beach in a bunch of cars and waited until stop lights turned red to go through them so no one else could and various other stupid things? Thought about that episode this week and even some 38 years later I still just can't believe we did that! 
  • My Twitter friends have been so supportive and encouraging over these past few weeks, even more that usual! If you're on Twitter and we don't follow each other, I'm @Youthguy07. Hit me up!
  • Hey Lisa Jewett (Wesley Memorial UMC)- it's finally time. A trip to Clearwater Beach and Crabby's for a Mahi sandwich is in our future. Marilyn is ready. I'm ready. Let's do it!
  • We have heard through the grapevine that the legend himself, Jerry Hanbery (FUCM-K), wants to have a big party at his house that will be a mini-reunion for central Florida locals who survived our years together. No plans have actually been made, so this is here today for 2 reasons. One, to put the pressure on Jerry. And two, so I can type the following phrase: Party at Jerry's house!!! 
  • And finally...  My book, Even Better Than Before, got lots of good reviews (and a few great ones!) from those who received a copy via e-mail. But there are still quite a few of you who owe me a book review. No pressure or threats (YET) but I am curious to know what you thought. Or if you were even able to finish it. So give me a shout if you get a chance, and I will be very (or for a few old friend who go WAY back, VURY) appreciative.
So there you have it, a random assortment of rambling shout outs. Enjoy the weekend. It's good to be alive!

Because of Jesus,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!