Saturday, April 25, 2015

My Marvel Movie Musings


One week from today I will be sitting a movie theater watching Avengers: Age of Ultron- unless I have already seen it by then! Marvel Comics were a part of my life growing up and the Marvel movie universe is one that I find fascinating. Not only has the entire Avengers series captured my fancy, but so have the X-Men (Note- X3 The Last Stand is one highly underrated film!) the two Fantastic Four movies and even the original Tobey Maguire Spiderman trilogy (which had serious flaws but they were fun anyway). I have not seen either of the Spiderman reboots. I've even watched every episode of Agents of Shield on tv. So needless to say my anticipation is high for the new Avengers flick next weekend. Hulk smash!!!!

All fans have their own favorites from among the 10 Avenger related films (including Guardians of the Galaxy; while not yet connected, they will be!) thus far and I am no different. Today I share with you my rankings. It should be noted that each of these movies were originally seen on the big screen and have since received multiple viewings at home. I know these films well. And here's the way I rank them:

  1. Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier
  2. The Avengers
  3. Iron Man
  4. Guardians of the Galaxy
  5. Iron Man 3
  6. Captain America: The First Avenger
  7. Thor
  8. The Incredible Hulk
  9. Thor 2: The Dark World
  10. Iron Man 2
There's no need to bore you with explanations as to why they are ranked in that order, but there are a few things you should know. Iron Man is that high because if it had flopped, NONE of the rest of this would have happened. So it's important. You should know that numbers 1-8 are all movies I can watch over and over and still love, so the separation between them is very small. Thor 2 isn't bad, it just doesn't grab me quite like the others, partly because the bad guys are pretty anonymous. And Iron Man 2 just annoys me. It's entertaining but fairly pointless. If it didn't introduce Black Widow it have no purpose at all in my mind.

So there you have it. It would be great to hear you thoughts on my list. I eagerly await Antman later this summer and the next wave of films to follow Ultron. If anyone from Marvel/Disney is reading, please hear this old man's request- make a Hulk movie with Mark Ruffalo before I am too old to see it!  Thanks, and have a great Saturday, dear readers!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4/25/2015

    I hear ya on Hulk - I've been dying to see a decent hulk movie for years!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!