Saturday, September 6, 2014

The App Rap

Lately I have been listening to a fair amount of bluegrass and folk music. There are just times when my North Carolina upbringing shows through and I have to have me some fiddle or banjo tunes. While my tastes may not run as eclectic as artists like The Red Clay Ramblers or Ramblin' Jack Elliot (HA! I did it, Carl Semmler!) I inherited a love of folk and bluegrass from my Dad, and I have never lost it. He played great folk artists like The New Christy Minstrels and The Chad Mitchell Trio for me, and I still love them today. I have lots of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and some Doc Watson on my iPod, and one entire playlist dedicated to Folk/Grass. There are days that are just made for that special blend of acoustic instruments. And yesterday was one of those days.

I mentioned fiddle music. To the uninitiated, a fiddle could be mistaken for a violin. But there is no mistaking the the sound of an Appalachian fiddle. There is legendary musician (at least in NC) named Mike Cross. I own a lot of his music and was fortunate enough to see him in concert several times back in the 80s. Mike is as renowned for his storytelling as for his music, which is saying something. On his 1981 live album, Live & Kickin', Mike takes time out during the show to teach us exactly why the fiddle has such a unique sound. It's called The App Rap, and I share it with you here. Enjoy the lesson. Listen to Mike play the fiddle. And then just try to frown. Nothing kicks up the heels of my spirits quite like bluegrass. Have a great Saturday!


And people say my blog isn't educational...   :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!