Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The Swim Team Playlist

Several weeks ago my old friend, former student (in the youth group of Springfield Friends Meeting) and faithful reader of this blog Jamie Robinson asked me via Twitter if I would be interested in taking on a project. James has a couple of kids involved on a swim team in NC, and he has been chosen to serve as the "DJ" who plays music during their meets.  He said he needed a playlist that would fill about an hour, and he wondered if I might be willing to put together such a list.  I was glad to accept.

There were two things that Jamie and I both knew going into this joint venture.  I knew that he had been the "DJ" at a youth group Christmas dance back in the 80s (see picture), and that his musical taste was questioned way back when.  And James knew that my musical tastes vary wildly and are questionable still today. So I have put together a list, which (at his brave suggestion) he is seeing for the first time as I post it here this morning.  I hope this will work for him, and he certainly is under no obligation to use it.  I thought long and hard about appropriate songs and according to my I-Tunes, this is one hour and 4 minutes worth of quality stuff.  I will be interested to hear other reactions as well, but whatever you think you have to give me props for one thing- the use of the Dire Straits song Twisting By the Pool is sheer genius.  :) Here we go...

  1. I Never Walk Alone -  Huey Lewis & the News
  2. It's Time - Imagine Dragons
  3. Bulletproof Heart - My Chemical Romance
  4. I Will Wait - Mumford & Sons
  5. Surfer's Paradise - All Star United w/ Phil Keaggy
  6. Little Talks - Of Monsters and Men
  7. Twisting By the Pool - Dire Straits
  8. All Star - Smash Mouth
  9. Since I Met You - dc Talk
  10. ho hey - The Lumineers
  11. Human - The Killers
  12. Dark Horses - Switchfoot
  13. Feelin' Stronger Every Day - Chicago
  14. I'm Still Standing - Elton John
  15. These Times - Safety Suit
  16. I Gotta Feeling - Black Eyed Peas
Some of you (including Jamie) may be stunned that no Beach Boys or Buffett were included.  We must all make sacrifices for the good of the team.  I hope this works, James. We'll be pulling for your kids!

Because of Jesus,

4 comments:

  1. Awesome CJ! Thanks you so much. I hope others enjoy these tunes as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome, James!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous5/08/2013

    I read this list knowing you'd have to throw in a blast from the past with all of those new tunes! Love the Chicago but what about the musical stylings of Bread? LOL! Great playlist! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bread, huh? Why do I suspect my favorite Springfield era late night caller turned swim team mom might be my anonymous commenter? :) Thanks, Keri!

      Delete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!