Thursday, December 6, 2012

A Great Cloud of Witnesses

During the years (1986-1994) I served as the Director of Youth and Christian Education at Springfield Friends Meeting in High Point, NC, my senior pastor was the late Max Rees.  Max had many gifts as a pastor and a preacher, but none greater than his ability to deliver a funeral sermon and eulogy.  No matter the situation. Max always made his message deeply personal, deeply spiritual and very moving.  And in nearly every one of those services, Max would use the scripture "we are surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses" from Hebrews 12:1.  Over the past few days those words have often been on my mind.

The Simmons Family (and Ashley Goad at left) on one
of our 
famous Kyoto's nights.
Last weekend my old church lost two incredible men on the same day.  George Simmons, husband to longtime church secretary and my dear friend Millie Simmons died suddenly and unexpectedly. George was a special man, a great husband and father, who I could always count on.  He and Millie raised two daughters, Amy and Jennifer, both of whom were important parts of my student ministry at SFM.  I dearly love that family, and George will be greatly missed in the community.  The same day, Leroy Wilkins passed after a battle with cancer.  My relationship with Leroy, his wife Ernestine and their children Jay and April preceded my time at Springfield, going back to my Quaker Lake Camp days.  Ernie often helped with out children's ministry at SFM, and Leroy was always the life of the party.  He would often introduce the love of his life, Ernie, as "my first wife."  He and George, while never people who sought out power in the church, were true leaders and great friends.  They will be missed, and I couldn't help but think that they have joined that "great cloud of witnesses."

But I have also realized that this cloud of witnesses extends far beyond those who have gone to be with Jesus.  I first heard of these passings through a text message conversation with my former youth Marie Allen, who just thought I would want to know.  We got a call from my old buddy and the current pastor at SFM, Ray Luther, who knew we would want to know. Traci Whitaker Lane, another alumni of my youth group there, left us a touching message talking about how important her Springfield family was and is to her. Ken Hill wrote of how that weekend should make us all stop and make sure we acknowledge how we feel about the people we encounter every day.  All of these witnesses surround me still.  I was reminded of the depth and passion the people of that little Friends Meeting have for one another, and how much impact they have on one another's lives.  And mine- even 18 years removed from my time there.  

I served a number of churches over my 28 years in youth ministry, and I loved them all.  But there was never anyplace quite like Springfield.  I have never stopped missing it.  I cannot say it was a mistake to leave when I did, because so many of the people that I love the most and who love me the most still today are people I met at my next stop in Kissimmee.  But Springfield remains (in the words of Jimmy Buffett) my "one particular harbor."  It is home.  My thoughts and prayers are with my church family, the Simmons and Wilkins families, and with the community.  Please know you are all loved.  May the peace and grace of Jesus carry you through these difficult times.  And may you never forget that you are indeed surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses- both those who have gone before and those who love and car for you right now.

Because of Jesus,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!