Saturday, June 2, 2012

An FUMC-Kissimmee Reunion Update!

I try not to make my blogs posts too specific to any one section of my readers these days, because I know you all come from different parts of my life.  But today is different. Today's post is pointed directly at those who are alumni of the student ministry from my days in Kissimmee, Florida (1994-2000).  It seems that our dream of a reunion is moving beyond the dreaming stage and into the planning stage.  Old friends who now live in places as varied as Kansas, NC, DC, Texas, Michigan, Mississippi and Florida have spoken- and they want a reunion.  As I have written here many times before, these are relationships we all treasure- and we want to celebrate the amazing times we shared together.  The planning for where we might do this, and what we might do, will be the fun part.  The tough question, if we are to gather the most possible people from some of the far away places, is this-  WHEN???  


To help us decode this great mystery, we invite anyone who can to join for a planning meeting at the Broadway Pizza Bar in downtown Kissimmee.  I had originally proposed meeting on June 16 for lunch, but it may be that June 23 will work better.  Dr. Jill and Kelly Jeck Trace had indicated availability for the 16th; Todd Willis has indicated he will be in town from DC on the 23rd, and Cindy Martin can come that day as well.  Plus, on the 16th Lauren Carr Cacciatore will be rafting the Ocoee River, so we may all need to be on Frosty Alert!  :)  But we want to appeal to as many folks as we can.  If you are interested in being part of the planning then text me (8139193755), send me an email or use Marilyn's Facebook or my Twitter and let us know which of those 2 dates works best for you and we will choose.  We have been gathering suggestions for a reunion through Facebook for a few weeks now, and it is time to get serious and get a date on the calendar so our friends can start planning their trips to central Florida.


But even if you live too far away to be in Kissimmee for a planning meeting, we want your input on dates and what kind of event you would want this to be.  We could even include you in the meeting via text messaging if you ask nicely!  All I know for sure is that we want to be as inclusive as possible.  When you are having a family reunion, you want the entire family to be there.  Among the suggestions I have received so far include making sure we get to sing together; playing some of the old games again; sharing a meal (or 3); attending worship together; and having one event including children and one event without.  Also, Adam Hill suggested the Betsy B and Dr. Jill a ski trip reunion.  I don't really care, just so we get together.  But we would love to know what you are thinking!


This reunion is something that has been mentioned off and on ever since I began writing this blog in 2009, and it always seemed like such a long shot.  Now it is time to turn the dream into reality- and we need and want your help!  Just to make sure you remember why there are so many who would like to reunite this particular group, I have included this video I put together a couple of years ago full of pictures of those grand old days.  Using a dc Talk song (what else?), this slideshow seeks to remind us all that we are a part of the family of God.  The miles may separate us as time rolls along, but the bonds between friends will remain ever strong.  "And since I met you, I've been alright, I've been ok..."



Let me hear from you soon, and join me in praying that this event can be a blessing for some of our old friends who may be feeling disconnected and hurting.  Love you guys!

Because of Jesus,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!