Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Speeding For Jesus

The First United Methodist Church of Kissimmee had two vans (and a bus) when I arrived there in 1994.  One of the vans was white, and it was in pretty nice shape.  The other van was blue, and it was....blue.   We had to take both vans on our mission trip to Mountain Top, not because our group was large but because we would be transporting local children to the mission sites each day.  Because I am an exceptionally nice guy, and because you cannot overestimate the value of having an actual doctor on youth trips, I graciously conceded the white van to Dr. Jill Painter (pictured above on the right, with my wife Marilyn and The Director...hehe).  I drove Old Blue.

Each morning we would leave with our teams and head out to pick up elementary-aged students and drive them to the VBS sites we were using.  We actually spent as much time in the vans each day as we did at the work sites, but it was great to get to spend time with the kids.  We were on a pretty tight time schedule each day, trying to get everyone picked up and to the VBS sites in time to get things going for the morning.  Then we would take them home.  The story I am about to tell you actually happened; I was not there to witness it, because I was busy praying that the blue van would make it up the next hill.  I trust that if I mangle the details someone who was there that day will correct me.  But believe me, it happened!

Jill had her van full of youth and children and was headed either to the work site or back to their homes to drop them off.  We travelled long, empty stretches of mountain highway each day in vans that grew very loud, so you were always in a hurry.  One such day Jill- in the big white van with the church name and phone number on the side- realized she was being followed by a lovely car with flashing lights.  She had lost sight of her speed and was well over the posted limit.  And she had been caught!  Speeding in a church van is always a bit awkward because everyone who passes by can see exactly who you are and knows that you, a follower of Jesus, have just broken the law.  Plus, you still have to pay the ticket and deal with the insurance points.  It is not a good situation.  Dr. Jill was determined to try and get herself out of this mess, so she devised a plan.  As the officer approached her, she had the entire van of kids sing Jesus Loves Me.  They sang with great gusto and passion.  Her hope was, I assume, that the officer would hear the children, realize what an important spiritual mission she was on, and let her off with a warning.  It was a good idea.  It didn't work.  He wrote her a ticket while she sat by the side of the road with a church van full of children and youth.  Total embarrassment for her; hours of laughter for the rest of us!!!  In all of my many years of youth ministry and trips, Jill received the only speeding ticket anyone ever got.  I know she still considers it a great honor...

As I mentioned yesterday, both of us were called on the carpet for speeding around Mountain Top itself, and I seem to recall her getting in trouble for taking a few of the youth underwear shopping as well.  But the ticket was her only driving faux pas of the week. We would go on many trips together over the next 6 years, and very few youth counselors hold a more special place in my heart than Jill.   I would have my own embarrassing issues with the blue van after we started home.  But that is a story for another day.

Because of Jesus,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!