Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Sculpting Tickets

Our final stop before heading for home to Kissimmee on our 1994 mission trip was a fun stop in Atlanta.  I had not really made any plans for this stop; I just knew I wanted us to have some fun to wrap up what had at times been a very stressful trip.  And we did have some fun...

We got rooms in a Days Inn just off the interstate and located behind a strip club.  It turned out we were not is a very nice part of town, but we didn't really care.  It was decided we would try to go to an Atlanta Braves game.  We had no tickets, but I had been to enough Braves games to know you can always scalp tickets outside the stadium.  So off we went.  I remember absolutely nothing about the game.  To tell you the truth, I don't even remember if we got in.  I do remember how excited Jocelyn Sessions was that we were going to scalp tickets.  She just kept talking about it.  Only thing was, she kept referring to the fact that we were going to "sculpt" tickets.  It was hilarious.  We all kept joking about what that would look like; to see artists sitting in front of Fulton County Stadium forging tickets out of clay.  "Sculpting" tickets became a catch phrase I used for many years.  Jocelyn would have many more "moments" in the coming years, and you will read about them here;  they would only reinforce what a special part of our youth family she was!

The next day (I think) we visited Underground Atlanta.  Again, I have very little memory of the event, but it did produce one of my all-time favorite group pictures (at top).  Getting dressed up, posing for the photo and laughing so hard we couldn't stand up was exactly the finish the trip needed.  The guys look so serious because the photographer wanted us to look like old west bandits- and it worked.  The girls were just supposed to look pretty- and they did!  It was all great fun.  We headed home with a new bond, new enthusiasm and a bright future.  God can do amazing things when we surrender to Him.  Dr. Jill definitely got it right- it was the best worst week ever!  See you tomorrow.

Because of Jesus,

2 comments:

  1. Jill Watson5/15/2010

    It's amazing to look back and see that God had a perfect plan for even that week. We came home better than we left and truly none the worse for wear! I still think the worst part of the whole week for me was explaining the speeding ticket to Ginny Johns. Luckily, she didn't revoke my van privileges and we had many more adventures together! Looking forward to hearing all about them, Dr. Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jocelyn, I didn't remember the Dijon story! And Jill, we did have lots of adventures,didn't we? I hope I can remember them all!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!