Saturday, May 8, 2010

In Trouble Again

Each afternoon during our week in the mountains of Tennessee we had free time at Mountain Top.  This time resulted in naps, some wonderfully hardcore basketball games and other leisure activities.  One such afternoon I decided to go sit on the grassy hillside and play my guitar.  This was my Applause guitar, with the steel neck and the fiberglass back- the one Alan Brown nicknamed "The Boat."  It was the same guitar Jay Osborne had once dropped off the roof of the lodge at Quaker Lake in the early 80's (That's me pictured playing it at QLC in those same early 80's- by 1994 it was on its' last "string.").  It was beat up, falling apart and almost impossible to tune anymore-  and I loved it.  I sat on the grass in the afternoon sun, playing songs and singing softly to myself.  It was a great way to kick back.

As I sat playing, a few members of our group came and sat with me, and we began to sing songs that were familiar to us.  The more we sang and laughed and hung out on the lawn. the more people came over to join us.  After a while there were probably 50-75 youth and adults who had joined us, many of them calling out requests.  I tried to play them all.  And we sat there and sang praise to God for a long time.  Without question it was the best bonding time of the week.  Leaders from other groups thanked me for doing it, but in truth I had not done a thing.  As with all great moments of ministry, God had orchestrated this one.

At least one person did not see it that way.  The Director soon confronted me and wanted to know why I was trying to disrupt the camp.  Apparently, no ministry was allowed to happen unless it was planned and led by he and his staff.  I was actually told that if I did it again my group would be sent home.  To this day I still don't get it.  It was so tempting to leave right then and there, but I knew that was not the right thing to do.  I took my admonishment and tried to finish out the week without causing any more "trouble."  The week ended without further incident. 

The bonding that took place around Scott Burlison's misadventures and his birthday, and around this incident, was of great help to me.  Many of the youth on this trip (and Jill Painter) were already very close.  The questions were about me.  Would I fit in?  Would they learn to trust and respect me as a leader?  I came away from Mountain Top feeling like we had made great progress in the midst of a rough week.  The trip home would only confirm that. 

Because of Jesus,

1 comment:

  1. Just seeing if this comment thing still works...yep, it does! Try it, you'll like it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!