Thursday, May 13, 2010

CCM Countdown: 2.5

Only one more album between today and #1 on my countdown of the 50+ Contemporary Christian Music projects that had the most impact on my life and ministry through 2006.  To see #3 and get links all the way back to #50, click here!  Join me again next Thursday for #2!

2.5)  GOOD MONSTERS-  Jars of Clay-  2006
I never thought that JOC would be able to top their self-titled debut album (#4 on this list) but they did with this project, their 3rd on my countdown.  Upon first hearing the CD I jumped it to number 1 on my list;  a few years of reflection land it here at 2.5.  Every song is a masterpiece of a gut-wrenching, soul searching faith journey.  There are no easy answers given here, save for one- life spent walking with Jesus is far better than any alternative.  But that path is not an easy one either.  Dan Haseltine has never sounded better on vocals, and the production values rival any CD of any genre I have ever heard.  A great, great album.

FEATURED SONGS
The CD opens with Work, an incredible song (video below) about how difficult life can be ("It's the breathing that's taking all this work") and how important it is to not live life alone, without JesusDead Man (Carry Me) finds the Jars crying out to God raise them from the dead feelings they have inside- it is simply a tour de force of music.  All My Tears and Even Angels Cry continue this theme of pain and passion.  We are then lifted up by There Is A River, with its' incredible chorus:  "There is a river that washes you clean, there is a tree than marks the places you've been.  Blood that was spilled, although not your own, for all of those tears love will atone."  Good Monsters follows with question "Do you know what you are?"   Even the best of us are simply good monsters.  Oh My God is prayer of such passion that it always stirs my soul.  Mirrors & Smoke is an upbeat surprise featuring a vocal from Leigh Nash of Sixpence None the Richer.  The closing songs, Light Gives Heat and Water Under the Bridge are songs of redemption, reminding us that both our hearts and our relationships can be saved.  There is not one song on this album that I do not absolutely love!

OTHER RECOMMENDED ALBUMS FROM JARS OF CLAY

Jars of Clay-   1995*
Much Afraid- 1997
If I Left the Zoo- 1999
The Eleventh Hour- 2002
Who We Are Instead- 2003
Redemption Songs- 2005*
*indicates album also included in this countdown


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!