Sunday, December 27, 2009

Youthquake '88


Youthquake was (is?) a gathering of young Quakers from all over USAmerica that took place every three years is a different location.  In 1988 it took place in Denver, Colorado the week after Christmas.  Marilyn and I would be taking a group of students from Springfield Friends Meeting as part of a large group from North Carolina Yearly Meeting.  More significantly to me, I was to be the music leader for the general sessions of this huge event, and I was really excited about it.  We were going to fly out the day after Christmas, from Greensboro to Denver by way of Chicago.  If only it had been that easy!

As our large group gathered at the Greensboro Airport, we discovered several major problems.  A blizzard had grounded everything in or out of Chicago.  Because it was the day after Christmas, other flights that might get us to Denver were full.  People were sent home for the night and told to show up the next morning to see what could be done.  The next morning was not much better.  We were now almost certainly going to miss the opening session, which was bad for everyone and horrible for me.  I was being paid to lead music, and it would be very hard to do from Greensboro!  Times were very different in youth ministry in 1988.  I wasn't part of a band that would lead worship.  Me and my guitar WERE the band that would lead worship!  I was Plan A- and there was no Plan B!  I had to get there.  So Marilyn and I split off from the rest of the NC group and got our own flight out, stopping in 3 or 4 places along the way but eventually getting to Denver just after first time I was supposed to play.  That, however, was small potatoes compared to what the rest of our group would go through.  They were routed through Atlanta, would up spending a night in the airport there, and did not arrive at the event until the second day. 

Youthquake '88 was a wonderful event once we got there.  I was reunited with old partners-in-crime like Tom Klaus and Brent Bill, and found new co-conspirators in Bruce Bishop and Royce Frazier.  It was the first time I ever did Refrigerator Box Races, which would later become a very popular event in my own ministry.  The speakers were excellent (including Ann B. Davis, who played Alice on The Brady Bunch) and the kids were great.  I had a blast leading music for such a large crowd.  It was a real honor to share the stage for the closing worship event with Thom & Joani Schultz, the head honchos of Group Publishing.  Lives were touched and changed by the event, and it was a true blessing to be a part of the team that led it.  God blessed with so many such opportunities over the years, and I am forever thankful for that.  And it's true what they say- getting there is half the battle!  See you tomorrow!

Because of Jesus,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!