Thursday, December 31, 2009

CCM Countdown: 50-46

Every Thursday for the next few months I will be counting down the 50 CCM (Contemporary Christian Music) albums that had the most impact on my life and ministry.  No "live" albums or greatest hits packages will be included.  (FYI, I never owned any of these on vinyl.  Some were on cassette, however!) Every week I will also include a link to a classic CCM song from an album that will not make the countdown. Most of the songs mentioned can be purhcased from I-Tunes or Amazon.  Click on the links provided to learn more- and enjoy!  

50)  GROWNKendall Payne- 2004
Having already worn out her song Supermodels,  I was excited to hear some more from Kendall Payne.  I was not disappointed.  With balladslike Pray and Aslan (an awesome Narnia song!) and rockers like Rollercoaster, this is a very complete project.  We used her song Stand on a Quaker Lake DVD in 2006.
Download thisRollercoaster
49)   ADVENTURES OF THE O.C, SUPERTONES-  O.C. Supertones- 1996
The Supertones were one of the "Ska" bands to hit the CCM scene in the mid-90's, and
to me they were the best.  The reggae rhythyms and blasting horns reached out to kids
who previously had no interest in the genre.  Includes the masterpiece Who Can Be Against Me?
Download thisAdonai
48)  DON'T LOOK NOW, IT'S THE HALLELUJAH BROTHERS-  Phil and John-  1985
I hesitated to put this on the list because it has been out of print for so long, but back in the day I literally wore this album out!  Sounding a little like the early Beatles, this British duo never failed to bring a smile to my face, and they were door prizes at many an early TNT.  This is the only album on this countdown I no longer own.  If you find it, buy it!  And check out their cover of (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding.
47)  BLOOMAudio Adrenaline-  1996
Audio A. was already hugely popular with youth groups due to their classic hit Big House by the time Bloom was released, but this took it to a new level.  Songs like Never Gonna' Be As Big As Jesus and I'm Not the King rocked, as did a cover of Free Ride.  They went on to have many more hit albums, including several more on this countdown.
Download thisWalk On Water
46)  SPEECHLESS-  Steven Curtis Chapman-  1999
So many CD's from the crown prince of CCM could be on this countdown that there would be very little room for anyone else- so I limited myself to two!  This project gets the nod for the great worship refrain in the song Speechless, and for the incredible tour de force that is Dive.  A great Christian "pop" album.
Download thisFingerprints of God

This week's song to enjoy:  Read the Book (Don't Wait for the Movie) - White Heart- 1986





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!