Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Some Nights

The group FUN. (yes, the period is part of the name!) exploded onto the pop/rock music scene in 2012 with their huge hit We Are Young and the even bigger follow-up, Some Nights.  My son turned me on to their music and I love it.  A portion of the lyrics to Some Nights keeps resounding in my brain. making me ponder some of life's deepest questions.  The band sings:
"Oh Lord I'm still not sure what I stand for, oh
What do I stand for? What do I stand for?
Most nights, I don't know...anymore."

It is a question I struggle with often.  What do I stand for?  I know I want to stand for Jesus, but is that really the part of my life that speaks to the people I encounter everyday?  Do they feel his love and grace flow through me, or am I just another "Christian," wearing the name but not the bearing the cross.  And the truth is most days, I don't know. I am so weak, so often tempted and so often selfish. I should be amazed that anyone can ever see Jesus in me.  But that is the miracle of faith. We don't have to be perfect, because Jesus is.  He uses us and shines through us even when we falter and fail. If we stand for him, he will stand with us through the hard times and the dark nights.  I may doubt myself, but he never doubts me. He loves me, cares for me and lifts me up when everything else may be putting me down.  

So what do I stand for?  I stand for a Savior who loves me even when I don't know exactly what I stand for, because it's not about me. It's all about Jesus.  How cool is that?

Because of Jesus,


2 comments:

  1. I CANNOT stop stop listening to fun. Just... SO AMAZING. Their sound is more unique than other things you hear on the radio, and with the whole album, each song sounds different. Which is so rare, especially in pop culture today! But this is how I feel all of the time when I listen to Some Nights. It's like you read my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, Emily. It is an awesome album full of variety and CONTENT that I find missing in so much of current music. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!