Sunday, March 4, 2012

You Mean There's More?

There is a song by the band Newsboys (featured in yesterday's post) that has the following lyrics: "I'm not following a God I can lead around, I can't tame this deity.  And that's why Jesus is the final answer to who I want my God to be..."  I love that thought.  But far too many Christians do want a God they can define, explain and keep in a box. They want to know that they have ARRIVED as Christians, not that there is still more to the journey.  Today I want to share a few thoughts on the continuing search for truth...and for Jesus.




Matthew 3:13-17 (The Message)

Jesus then appeared, arriving at the Jordan River from Galilee. He wanted John to baptize him. John objected, "I'm the one who needs to be baptized, not you!"  But Jesus insisted. "Do it. God's work, putting things right all these centuries, is coming together right now in this baptism." So John did it. 

The moment Jesus came up out of the baptismal waters, the skies opened up and he saw God's Spirit—it looked like a dove—descending and landing on him. And along with the Spirit, a voice: "This is my Son, chosen and marked by my love, delight of my life." 

I love this scripture for a lot of reasons, but primarily because it gives us such a clear picture of the Holy Trinity.  Jesus (the Son) is in the water; the Holy Spirit descends like a a dove and lands on Him; and God the Father speaks to Him.  It is a miraculous and beautiful scene.

Theologians have struggled for centuries to explain the essence of the Holy Trinity.  Hundreds of books have been written and countless sermons preached on the subject, and yet there is still confusion.  You know what?  Good!  The nature of God, the supreme being and creator of the universe and everything in it, should not be easy to figure out.  I don't really want to put my faith, hope and trust in a deity that I can fully understand.  The classic U2 song, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, is often misinterpreted.  Bono already knew Jesus was the answer, but just like the Apostle Paul he knew there was more to the journey.  The question posed by that song is not,"Is Jesus the answer?"  The question is instead, "You mean there's more?"  And the answer to that is a resounding YES!  Always! More to faith. More to Jesus. More to the God of the universe.  The revelations of God did not end when the scriptures were compiled.  He reveals truth to us every day in new and exciting ways- if we choose to seek and listen. These new truths will be confirmed by the unchanging truth of the scriptures.  There will be mysteries right up until we draw our final breath. I plan to seek the joy in the journey, through all of the trials and coufusion, so that some day I will hear the voice of God the Father say to me,"This is my son, in whom I am well pleased."  Stay blessed.



Because of Jesus,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!