Friday, March 16, 2012

The Funniest Movies Ever!

So for the last few days I have been polling my Twitter followers and Marilyn's Facebook friends and asking them the following question:  What do you think is the funniest movie ever?  I was overwhelmed by both the quantity and the variety of the answers I received, and surprised at a few of the top vote-getters.  I was perhaps more surprised at the lack of love for many all-time favorites.  Much to the chagrin of my son Will, Animal House and Young Frankenstein were shut out, as were AirplaneStripes, Fletch and Ghostbusters.  No votes at all for Wayne's World, Naked Gun or Talladega Nights. Classics like Spaceballs, Office Space, The Jerk, As Good As It Gets, Wedding Crashers, Happy Gilmore, Robin Hood: Men In Tights, Meet the Parents, Anchorman, Major League, Elf, Uncle Buck, The Great Outdoors, Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, Hot Rod, The In-Laws, What About Bob? and Raising Arizona all received the same number of votes- 1 - as did Gladiator.  Yes,  THAT Gladiator.  That vote was later changed to Nacho Libre.  The great Caddyshack, the fairly recent smash The Hangover and the culturally iconic Ferris Bueller's Day Off each only received 2 votes.   The film that had Twitter going wild on Wednesday night with some people quoting dozens of great lines and others confessing to have never seen it was Monty Python's Holy Grail.  Yet for all of that activity, it too got only 2 votes. I even got a text from my old friend Beth last night telling me she didn't know what the funniest movie was, but she sure knew what it wasn't- Holy Grail!  Comedy is a very personal thing.


So with all of that in mind, here are the top 5 vote-getters. These do not represent the views of the management.  If fact, these results have caused me to make my own list, which I will feature tomorrow.  But the people have spoken, and this is what they said...


5)  Dumb And Dumber - At one point this was winning. I would have never published those results.  
4)  Christmas Vacation- An absolute classic.  Now we are getting somewhere.
3)  Blazing Saddles - Another great movie, but not even my favorite Mel Brooks film.
2)  The Princess Bride - One of my favorite movies for sure. But funniest?  Hmmmm...
1)  Tommy Boy - A hilarious movie, with Chris Farley at his absolute best. But funniest ever?  Really?  I mean have you seen Fletch?  


So there you have it.  As the master comedian George Carlin once said, "Everyone is entitled to their opinion. It's just that some of you are wrong!"  It's not too late to re-write history with me for tomorrow.  Leave your thoughts on this list and attempt to sway my opinion before tomorrow's list appears.  Surely we can do better.  And don't call me Shirley...

16 comments:

  1. Crazy People. (Yes, these people are crazy, but I'm referring to the Dudley Moore movie. It didn't make your list.)
    I think most twitterers are too young to know the greats you listed. That HAS to be it, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do remember Crazy People, which also makes me think of the original Arthur, yet another hilarious classic. And as for my Twitter followers being too young, they could certainly quote line from Holy Grail and The Princess Bride with no problems! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. But, I still say Grail should win.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie Allen3/16/2012

    Holy Grail is AWESOME. I also really love Raising Arizona. I really don't know what I think is the FUNNIEST, but I know your top five vote getters are CERTAINLY not in my top five. Spaceballs is a much better Mel Brooks, and the original Vacation is funnier. Eh, what can you do, and I have to agree that Crazy People is pretty funny. I am a sucker for the original Arthur. I am incredibly upset they remade it with an idiot like Russell Brand. Dudley Moore cannot be replaced!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the input, Marie. The original Vacation is yet another classic that didn't receive a single vote. Go figure!

      Delete
  4. Oh wow, Crazy People is a CLASSIC! I was beginning to believe I was the only one left in the free world who had seen it. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another really funny 80s movie that got mentioned on Twitter was Strange Brew, the story of Canadian beer makers, with Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas. "Take off, you hosers!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crazy People is hilarious and I only recently discovered it. So glad I did!

    As for Tommy Boy vs. Fletch. I have seen both, but I think Tommy Boy is better. Of course, I might have been like 10 when I first saw Fletch as opposed to like 18 or so when I saw Tommy Boy. I think my age has a lot to do with my vote for Tommy Boy over Fletch. Can't wait until tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrea, I should make it clear that I love Tommy Boy. However, neither it nor Fletch will make tomorrow's list! And it looks like the Crazy People fan club is bigger than expected!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3/16/2012

    private benjamin.....goldie hawn is a hoot!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Wow!!! Another classic we totally missed. Not to mention that I always had a HUGE crush on Goldie Hawn. :)

      Delete
  9. I don't know that I would say Tommy Boy is the funniest. Top 10 sure, but #1? Christmas Vacation and Princess Bride would make my list, but not the other two. I've never seen Fletch. Elf should have been on the list I think. Happy Gilmore and Ferris Beuller's Day Off I think should have made it. But honestly I don't watch a lot of movies so I can't agree or disagree with a lot of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy. And Save Ferris!!!

      Delete
  10. 5) Joe Dirt
    4) Office Space
    3) The Jerk
    2) Monty Python's Holy Grail
    1) Raising Arizona

    I can nearly recite every line from all of these movies. Thanks for reminding us to laugh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great list Kelly. Raising Arizona is one of those comedies that makes me laugh just as hard no matter how many times I watch it. Which has been a lot.

      Delete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!