Friday, December 9, 2011

Real Relationships Last A Real Long Time

Only one of these 3 is not currently a mommy.
They do grow up...
This may come as a surprise to many of you.  It certainly has surprised me.  Even after 52 years of life, God can still knock my socks off.  Over the past few months, not due to any effort on my own part, I have found myself back in youth ministry. I don't work for a church.  I don't have a job.  In fact, I do not have any students I am working with.  But I am back in student ministry.  It's just that now many of  my "youth" have gone zipping right past their 30th birthdays.  They are dads and moms, husbands and wives, teachers and lawyers.  They are the same people I loved and shared life with in the 1980s and 90s at Springfield Friends Meeting and the First United Methodist Church of Kissimmee.  They have been seeking me out, as they did when they were teenagers, to share in their joys and their struggles.  They just need someone they trust who will listen. And through these experiences I have been reminded of a few valuable lessons.


The struggles that we have as teenagers seem so important.  They seem like life and death matters when we are going through them.  And youth pastors help students survive these times and reach for the Light (Jesus) at the end of the tunnel.  It is an important time in life, and youth pastors serve a valuable role.  But the truth is, life does not get easier if we survive adolescence.  It gets more difficult.  Those puppy love heartbreaks that haunt teens become broken marriages in adults.  Academic struggles from high school become unemployment issues in adults.  Decisions that effect your life as a young person becomes decisions that change the world for your family as an adult.  The former youth I have been talking with over the past few months are all dealing with serious real life issues- both good and bad.  And they come to me because they know I will listen and they know I will offer them support.  They trust in this because it was always so.  They know my struggles and failures; some even think the things I have been through will help me understand them.  I don't have this relationship with all of my former youth, but I do believe that most of them feel like they could come to me at any time for love and encouragement, and I would "be there" for them.  God has made it clear to me that my charge to be in ministry to these folks who left youth group as far back as 25 years ago is still intact.  Our bond is still strong because it was forged in the fires of the family of God.  And I feel blessed to still be a part of their lives.


The second thing I have been reminded of is the reason for the first- relational youth ministry is forever!  Programs fade.  Bible studies are forgotten.  Flashy worship services drift away in our memories.  But the relationships that youth pastors build with students have the potential to last forever.  We strive to make a difference in the name of Jesus, and that is our constant goal.  But I continue to believe, now more than ever, that we best communicate the love of Jesus by loving students, and those relationships should not end with a graduation or a change of churches.  Real relationships last a real long time, I was once taught. Almost every day I get a call or an email confirming that.  It amazes me that God is still using me in their lives.  It amazes me that 5 years after leaving youth ministry I am realizing that if you have done it well, perhaps you CANNOT leave youth ministry.  The students just grow up.  And maybe- just maybe- they actually need us more than ever.  I used to worry about a 5 year strategic plan for my ministry.  In fact, my 30 year plan was already in place- building relationships.  Praise God from whom all blessings flow!


Because of Jesus,

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous12/09/2011

    I look forward to the day when my students become my friends, yet still know I am there for them when they need spiritual guidance- or someone just to listen or laugh with. What an encouraging post for youth workers everywhere. Thanks, Carl! ~ Chris Cooper

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you loved them well then and how it has built a lifetime relationship. Too often a change of church means relationships fall apart. I've experienced this personally over the past year and I wish more Christians had your point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Chris and Amy. If our love for others is to be modeled after the love Jesus has for us, then I just cannot imagine doing ministry any other way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12/09/2011

    I knew that years ago just by what you said to me right before I became an adult youth leader. You told me that you loved your job (obvious) and that you would never know until many years later if anything you had done for these kids made any difference. That being a youth pastor took years for the "rewards" to come back. Jesus works miracles, but it is through you and others like you that our children get the help, guidance and love that they sometimes don't want, don't receive or won't accept from their parents. Can not tell you enough - then and now - how much you've done for our family and how much we love you, and Marily and Will!!!

    Cindy, Gill, Colleen (and Daniel), Katherine (and Joshua).........

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your words today.....it's REALLY what I needed to hear and be reminded of. We need to talk soon - I could really use someone to listen and give me some guidance....you were always good at that! I don't see an actual e-mail address for you on here....Maybe I'll just get your # from Teresa. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much, Martin family. But it's an equal thing- you guys have done as much for me as I did for you. I love you guys. And Cyndi, I sent you all my info through Marilyn's Facebook. Would love to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!