Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Top 25 Memories: Songs

Music has always been an important part of my ministry.  I was fortunate enough to learn the art of leading group singing from Beth Phillips Massey and Martha Ratledge Farlow at Quaker Lake Camp.  The skills I learned there were then fine-tuned by lessons I learned from Young Life,  J. David Stone and the great Yohann (YO) Anderson.  You don't just randomly select songs to sing; you choose songs in an order and of a variety that will lead the group where you want them to go.  I became quite adept at moving groups from wild, crazy songs into deep worshipful music without them ever being truly aware where they were going.  And I loved every minute of it!

Several years ago I was asked about my song-leading style, and in the course of my explanation I was asked a most interesting question.  If I was given the opportunity to lead music for a group of teenagers that knew every song that I had ever led a group in singing (a list of over 300!), which songs would I pick- and what order would we sing them in?  It was a wonderful hypothetical query that I had no answer for at the time.  Today, however, I am going to take a shot at it!  So here it is- my Ultimate Set of Youth Group Songs.  I chosen 25 (and a bonus or two- you know me and lists, I always cheat!), which would be over 90 minutes of singing.  That might even wear out the Kissimmee gang, and they did love to sing!  Here they are; if you find yourself singing along, I understand...
  1. Lahina
  2. Lean On Me
  3. Pharoah, Pharoah
  4. Big House
  5. Eat Right!
  6. Shine
  7. Let Me Be There
  8. Undignified
  9. Open the Eyes of My Heart
  10. He's Alive!
  11. We Are the Family of God
  12. Ain't No Rock
  13. The All Day Song
  14. Blessed Be the Name
  15. The Happy Song
  16. Lord I Lift Your Name on High
  17. Breathe Deep
  18. Awesome God
  19. Peter, Peter
  20. Seek Ye First
  21. Hope Set High
  22. Create In Me
  23. Prince of Peace
  24. It is You/ Oh God, You Are My God/Sanctuary
  25. Sing Alleluia To the Lord
So how did I do?  Which songs were your favorites?  Which songs did I leave out that you would have chosen?  I would love to hear your opinions, because there were few things that connected us more- with God and with each other- than music!  Now I think I will break out my guitar and sing a few of these.  But it won't be the same without you to sing along...

Because of Jesus,

9 comments:

  1. Sanctuary was and continues to be my all time favorite. I still find myself humming that tune in times of struggle.

    On a funny note though, in reading the list I found the sudden urge to scream, "Eat Right!"

    Have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All great songs!! I played "Big House" the other day and Sara said, Hey, I know that song, they use to play it at pre-K!! She started singing right along, it was cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carl, have been following the blog for several weeks, and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Some of my best memories of helping out at Graceland was singing many of these songs. This would be a nice (although long) praise set!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Hal, it is so good to hear from you! You are right- a VERY long set!!! I am glad you are reading- many of my favorite memories from Wesley involve you and your family. I hope you all are well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These songs brought back so many memories! Thanks so much for the reminder. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goin on a Bear Hunt! I know it doesn't have melody but it did have a rythm and told a story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bear Hunt! Wow, had not thought of that one in a while! Good call, Will Rees!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8/29/2010

    "AIN'T NO ROCK! GONNA CRY IN MY PLACCEEEEE!!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. You go Kelly- "As long as I'm alive I will glorify His holy name"

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!