Monday, August 9, 2010

7 Things: Summer Movies 2010

Hi. I'm Will Jones, Carl's son. My dad, the usual writer of this blog, asked me if I wanted to be guest blogger for a day. I figured worse could be asked from me, so here I am. I'm a fifteen year old guy and I hope to one day be a filmmaker. I enjoy movies quite a bit, and this summer has been full of great and not so great movies. But here, we like to think positively most of the time so here's my list of the seven greatest movies of the summer.  I have also seen Ironman 2, McGruber, Grown Ups and Get Him To the Greek- but they didn't make my list.  Your opinion may differ- I am sure my dad's does!  Leave your comments and let me know what you think.

7. Prince of Persia
This "swords and sandals" epic from May, starring Jake Gyllenhal was not a huge summer blockbuster, but it did well enough that I'm betting it's not the last time we see Jake beating the crap out of Ben Kingsley. Movies based on video games normally don't get me too excited, but POP was surprisingly both funny and bold. With a bit of a Pirates feel to it, and Alfred Molina in his best role in years, this is one film that certainly deserves a sequel.

6. The A-Team
I was not around for the '80s when Mr. T ruled the television airwaves. However, from what I've heard of the show, it was just flat out fun. This is something that the film adaption takes to heart, seeing as it is one of the funnest film going experiences I've ever had. The A-list cast(no pun intended) including Bradley Cooper, Liam Neeson, Jessica Biel, and Shartlo Copley, does a fantastic job just seeming like they're having a ball. Copley, of District 9 fame, especially deserves credit for being absolutely hysterical and believable as Howling Mad Murdock. one of the more under-rated films of the summer, I suggest to all, go out and rent it or buy it when it hits DVD. I promise you will not be disappointed. The action is incredible, especially the climaxing battle. If you don't like that final fight scene, you honestly just must not like movies.

5. Predators
Again, not around for the '80s, but I have seen the original Predator film. I could sit here quoting Arnold for hours, however, that's not what you're here for. The new installment, Predators is an adrenaline shot straight to the jugular. Robert Rodriguez, of Sin City fame, produces and wrote the first draft of the screenplay. His fingerprints are all over it.  Adrien Brody stars and has a terrific turn, channeling his inner Eastwood, to become a fantastic action star.  It has dialogue that keeps you on the edge of your seat for nearly two straight hours; in a Tarantino-less summer, Predators is comfort food for Tarantino's biggest fans.

4. Robin Hood
The newest take on the legendary character stars Russel Crowe and is directed by the legendary Ridley Scott.  Robin Hood is told as an origin story, something that Hollywood seems to be doing with all of it's long time characters.  The difference?  This origin story is actually interesting.  Instead of worrying about fitting it all in with the previous films, Scott does it his way and let me tell you, his way fits Robin Hood like a pair of green tights. The visuals are undeniably epic, the story is fantastic, the action is more than you could ever ask for in a summer blockbuster.  When you add that all together, you get an incredible film that I will be watching for years to come.

3. Toy Story 3
Pixar is the most talented creative team in the industry and Toy Story 3 is their masterpiece. It'll make you laugh until it hurts. It will make you wipe a few tears from your eyes. And most of all, it will return you to those years when you had your own toys that were always there for you.    P.S. Michael Keaton has his best role in years as Ken, Barbie's sole mate.

2. The Other Guys
This is a film from Will Ferrell and Adam McKay. For those who don't know, this duo has given the world Anchorman, Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby, and Step Brothers, three of the funniest movies of the last decade. Their fourth and most recent collaboration, The Other Guys certainly does not disappoint. This is an extremely funny film that will have you rolling out your seat with laughter. Mark Wahlberg joins the bunch as Ferrell's police partner, and truly does hold his own against Ferrell. The beauty of it all? Wahlberg is really just playing his character from The Departed minus the accent and a little bit more blunt. On top of all the hilarity, the action scenes are not done as if it's a comedy. They are better than most in this summer's big action productions.
P.S. Another Michael Keaton role for the books.

1. Inception
Christopher Nolan's latest is something that everyone has heard of by now. I saw it opening weekend and was blown away. The story is pure genius. I don't want to give away the plot, and I don't think I could if I wanted too. It is certainly a movie that makes you think. It is also a movie that nearly demands repeat viewings in order to sort out what all was just put in front of you in the two and a half hour run time. Certainly deserving of the Oscar buzz it's getting, Inception is not only the greatest of the year so far, it is in my own personal top ten list of all time.  Maybe dad will let me share that list with you some other day.

So I hope you enjoyed this trip to the movies.  Dad will be back tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8/09/2010

    Thanks for the recommends. Jun will be pleased to see that Predators is on the list and will use it as ammunition to get me to put it on the Netflix queue.

    POP will definitely get a sequel even though here in the states it didn't do so well, internationally it was a blockbuster. Another thing for my queue.

    Good stuff Will!

    Jen aka Bob aka the Cheerwine supplier of Tampa Bay

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the review of A-Team. It was a great movie...and now thanks to your reviews I have a few more to check out now. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8/09/2010

    What- no love for Twilight: Eclipse? How could you leave it out?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will did not see Eclipse, although he did see the other 2 Twilight films. And Jen, you may have an idea for a business there- bringing Cheerwine to Tampa Bay! Ann, his views do not represent those of the management, so view at your own risk!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!