Friday, June 18, 2010

The Birth of SHO-Time

When you work with a large youth group like the one we had in Kissimmee, you spend a tremendous amount of time figuring out ways to make it feel smaller.  You develop programs, create new events and seek ways to get small groups of students together so you can have a chance to build community and relationships.  In early 1996 I began to think about ways to give our high school youth more opportunities to get together without those "pesky middle schoolers" hanging all over them.  I decided on a once a month program that I called SHO- Time.  This Senior High Only event would be simple.  We would pick a restaurant, gather for dinner, and just hang out and visit.  It seemed like a great idea, and eventually it was.  But it got off to a very slow start...

The first SHO-Time was held February 29, 1996.  I thought meeting on Leap Day would make it memorable and unique.  I advertised the event with every means available- our newsletter, post cards and our Youth Group Hotline (847-XLAX).  There seemed to be a buzz, and I was excited.  We decided on Chi-Chi's Mexican Restaurant (now defunct; I miss that place and especially their Cancun Seafood Burritos!) because it had good food and a great party atmosphere.  Marilyn, a very young Will (age 1.5) and I showed up excited for a great dinner with wonderful people.  And we waited.  Finally, the crowd began to arrive.  The "crowd" was named Connor Lewis (pictured at top with Teresa Reep and Hamp Sessions in NYC- Teresa loved SHO-Time and used to pick the restaurant we we were going to visit next!).  He was both the first and last to join us.  We had a great time (although I am sure Connor felt a little awkward being the only one there) and I just wrote the low turnout off to it being a first time event.  But the next few months brought more of the same.  Lisa Kraus joined us one month; others were in and out.  But Connor was faithful, coming most every month.  He kept talking abut how much fun we had.  And eventually, the idea caught on.  As the years passed (and not just in Kissimmee; I did SHO-Time with every group I served through 2006) it became a signature event, something the high school kids looked forward to every month and that middle school youth couldn't wait to age into.  SHO-Time became a place to bring friends, and where some of the kids who didn't come to youth group on a regular basis felt comfortable.  We went to a lot of great restaurants in the Kissimmee area over the next few years, with Rio Bravo Mexican Restaurant and Planet Hollywood being among the favorites.  Every month brought a new opportunity for the students to hang out with each other and for me to hear what was on their minds.  I know I looked forward to SHO-Time every bit as much as they did.

I have been digging through some of the old newsletters from my days at FUMC-K, and starting tomorrow I will spend the next few Saturdays looking back at some headlines and stories from the UMYF Enquirer.  Get ready to laugh!

Because of Jesus,

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6/18/2010

    I remember going to a SHO-Time at Darryls out on 192 one time and having a big crowd and a great time. Those were fun days. Thanks, Carl! Matt

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!