Thursday, June 30, 2016

Some People...


It has occurred to me lately that there sure are a lot of different sorts of people in this crazy world (Yes I know- Captain Obvious here!) and that I seem to know a lot of them. This train of thought came to me recently while reading some Facebook posts from a former member of one of my student ministries from back in the day. He has been going on and on lately about social/political issues in ways that blow my mind. He spews hatred towards our current President, claims that racism and sexism are creations of the liberal media and is all in favor of having all of USAmerica arm itself with guns. All of this from a man who as a teenager had me prepare a file so he could prove he was morally opposed to war on religious grounds in case the draft was ever reinstated. This was one of my all-time favorite students, and now I am not sure I would want to be in the same room with him. Some people, huh?

It has been one of the true blessings of my life to get to know so many people in so many situations. I bet you know some of them too...

  • Some people like lima beans and liver, proving beyond any doubt that we all have capacity to be wrong!
  • Some people do not have the capacity to admit they are wrong.
  • Some people make you smile every single time you see them or hear from them. These folks are keepers!
  • Some people piss you off with most everything they say or do, no matter how hard you try to be accepting. These people are toxic.
  • Some people know everything about you and love you anyway.
  • Some people know almost nothing about you and dislike you anyway.
  • Some people treat others like crap and no one ever calls them on their behavior.
  • Some people can change your day with a hug.
  • Some people disappear from your life and leave a hole in your heart.
  • Some people vanish from your life and you barely notice they are gone.
  • Some people know the worst things you have done and choose to remember the good things.
  • Some people can only focus on the negative.
  • Some people are wonderful sounding boards, who listen with open ears and non-judgmental hearts to anything you have to say.
  • Some people only want to talk about themselves.
  • Some people I can't imagine living without their presence in my life.
  • Some people just need to move on!
  • Some people see diversity and change as scary things.
  • Some people see diversity as God using his paintbrush and creativity to include all the colors of the rainbow.
  • Some people are family, even when there is no blood relation to you at all.
  • Some family members are just people. Blood may be thicker than water, but love is thicker than both. It's not family without love.
  • Some people use their faith as hammer, beating on people and driving them away from our loving God .
  • Some people use their faith as a blanket, wrapping people in the loving arms of Christ and making them feel safe and included.
  • Some people I miss terribly each and every day.
  • Some people you can go months without talking to, yet when you do talk it is like no time has passed.
  • Some people you see everyday and have no idea what to say to them.
  • Some people can change my day for the better with a text, a call or an email. 
  • Some people I love so much that it hurts not to be with them.
  • Some people make my world- and THE world- a better place simply by being in it.
  • And some people don't...
Do you know any of these people? Are you any of these people? It is my prayer that my life make a positive difference in the lives of the people and the community around me. And to those of you "some people"who make my life worth living in these difficult times, thank you. You are appreciated and loved. And I would love to get a chance to tell you that in person. 

Because of Jesus,

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6/30/2016

    you are appreciated and loved too! Moe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you, Moe, are among my very favorite "some people!" We need to get together soon!!!

      Delete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!