Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Who Are You Hangin' With?

"When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus." ~Acts 4:14 (NIV)


The disciples and the early church were ordinary people who did extraordinary things. They weren't seminary graduates, or preachers in mega-churches, or even church deacons and lay leaders. They were fishermen, tax collectors and other assorted common folk who simply changed the world.  In the scripture above, the wise and highly-educated leaders of the day are listening to Peter and John preach in front of the council, and they can't believe their ears. There is something different, something special about these men.  And finally one of them just says it. Hits the nail on the head.  "These men had been with Jesus."

I find myself wondering if people look at my life and say that about me.  I wonder if the influence of Jesus in my heart, mind and soul shines through, or if when people look at me they simply see ME. Ordinary. Weak. Sin-filled. Do I spend enough time hangin' with Jesus? Do I pray enough, meditate enough, serve enough andstudy scripture enough that Jesus is my constant companion, just as he was for those early disciples? Do I love those around me and the "least of these" in ways that show it is not me, but HIM? My prayer for each of us today is that we be people who have been with Jesus each and every day. Because if we are, then we become ordinary women and men who are capable of very extraordinary things.

Because of Jesus,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!