Sunday, September 29, 2013

Acoustic Worship

This morning I woke up humming Lord I Lift Your Name On High.  It reminded me how much I miss leading music in worship, and how much I miss acoustic worship and the spontaneity that comes with it.  Which led me to update  this vintage post...


I attend a church that has an incredible praise band.  We have a song leader who could easily be a recording artist. background singers who could be members of Point of Grace, and three or four staff members who are amazing musicians as well. Every single Sunday the band rocks the house with some amazing music.  And you know what?  I'm a little tired of it.

I miss the intimacy of acoustic worship.  Some of you may remember the days when contemporary worship music was led by one guy/gal with an acoustic guitar. This particular style (in my opinion) puts the emphasis on the singing of the gathered crowd rather than on the praise team.  An acoustic guitar and a solo voice cannot (and should not!) drown out the voices of the congregation.  As someone who led many such songs over many years, I can tell you that there is nothing quite like standing in front of a people gathered to worship and hearing them sing their hearts out.  You can feel their passion for Jesus.  You can hear their hearts cry out.  

I love rockin' out in church.  But I do miss singing the classic praise choruses and older songs that simply don't go well with electric guitars and drums.  I miss singing songs like MajestyThy WordSing Alleluia To the LORDSeek Ye First and Sanctuary with the strum of a single guitar.  I loved doing things like singing Amazing Grace to the tune of the Eagles' Peaceful Easy Feeling or being Spirit-led to lead a song that no one else knew was coming.  And in the deepest depths of my old heart, I even occasionally miss singing classic hymns (Joyful, Joyful We Adore TheeIt Is Well With My Soul) with the piano and organ.  Most of us listen to a wide variety of music in our lives.  Praising God through music should take many forms as well...

So what about you?  What are your favorite songs to sing in worship?  What style do you prefer?  I'd love to hear from you.  The acoustic guitar pictured above is mine.  It's all tuned up and ready to go.  Let's sing praise to the LORD!!!

Because of Jesus,

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9/29/2013

    I remember singing Awesome God and feeling like the youth room was just full of the Holy Spirit. And when you would stop playing and it was just the voices- WOW!!! Thanks for this reminder of how good it can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A great memory. And you make my point for me...that it's the VOICES lifted in praise that really transform singing into WORSHIP. God bless!

      Delete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!