Sunday, October 14, 2012

Psalm 119

The famous words, "Let the words of my my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer" are found in Psalm 119:14.  I know these words are an important prayer to many believers.  I first learned to sing them at camp the summer after 8th grade, and they have been with with me ever since.  I am sure many of you have them memorized as well. It is a prayer I used to pray before every sermon or youth talk I ever gave, with the added phrase "speak to me and the through me, LORD, that we might all know you better."

But here is the truth about that powerful little verse- if it were just the "words of our mouth," most of us would be OK.  We have figured out how to sound religious.  While we cannot fool God, we can fool ourselves.  We know the big words and the special language that make us sound like God is important to us. We know what not to say to give away our hurts and pains.  We many stumble at times, but if it were just our words we wanted to keep acceptable, we might might not need to worry about this little prayer.

But it's not just the words.  And we do need to worry.  Clean my heart, O God.

Because of Jesus,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!