Thursday, July 14, 2016

When Nothing Else Could Help...



I'm sure that many of you are familiar with the classic hymn of the church called Love Lifted Me. Today I would like to share with you an exercise in gratitude that uses the chorus to that simple song as its basis. The lyrics to the chorus are as follows:
Love lifted me, love lifted me
When nothing else could help, love lifted me


In the song, "Love" represents the love of God whose name is Jesus. And that love does indeed lift us out of many difficult situations and give us hope when all hope seems gone. But there are many times when that love comes to us through other people in our lives. And today, I want you to remember those special people, who have lifted your heart and your spirit when you needed it most. So sing the entire chorus, or if you don't know the tune, just read the words aloud. Go ahead.  "Love lifted me..."  Now do it again. But this time, instead of the word "love," substitute the name of someone who has given you love and hope. For instance at various times in my life I have sung "Steve lifted me" or "Denise lifted me." Again, sing the entire chorus. Keep going, substituting a new name each time. Recognize how often Jesus works in our hearts through the people he places in our lives. Finish the exercise by singing the name of Jesus in place of love. Then take a few moments in prayer, giving thanks for all of the names you have mentioned.

I do this exercise several times a week when I am alone and aware of how important the people in my life who love me are to my spiritual growth and mental health. I encourage you to make this a regular part of your prayer life as well. We all have known so many people who are blessings from God in our lives, and we should live with an attitude of gratitude. Have a blessed day, and thanks for being among the many who have "lifted me." You are needed today more than ever!

Because of Jesus,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!