Monday, November 8, 2010

A Surprise Choir

It was day 2 of our 2000 mission trip.  Sunday morning came cold and clear in Dungannon, VA.  We had breakfast and then walked down the hill from the mission center to attend worship at a very small Primitive Baptist church.  The sign  said that worship began at 11 AM, but when we walked through the door at 10:50 there were about 15 people sitting in the sanctuary listening to a man preach.  The 25 of us slipped in at quietly as we could and sat near the back.  I felt bad, thinking we had missed the service and were causing a distraction.  A few other people continued to wander in, and then about 11:05 the man stopped preaching.  People stood and stretched for a minute, and the pastor walked back to where we were sitting. It turned out we had walked in on Sunday School; now it was time for worship.  The pastor greeted us warmly and asked who was in charge.  I pointed him to David Knecht; after a brief conversation David pointed him back to me.  He came over and said that he wanted us to say something to the congregation during worship and perhaps sing a song for them.  I said I would gladly bring greetings, but that we were not prepared to sing and I didn't have my guitar with me.  He assured me that he had one I could use, and pretty much refused to take no for an answer.  We were going to sing.

There was only one problem.  As I mentioned in an earlier posting, the youth of the Union Church of Hinsdale didn't actually know any songs.  At least not any of the ones I knew and felt comfortable singing for a congregation.  And yet I had just agreed to do just that.  As I sat in my pew waiting to be called up front, my mind was racing.  What would we sing?  I didn't ant to embarrass the kids or take away from worship.  And then it hit me- the night before a small group of had sat around singing, and that group should be able to fake the chorus to Step By Step (O God You are my God).  I know I must have been smiling like an idiot as I sat there; once again God had provided despite my doubts.  We all went up front, I brought greetings from Illinois, and we sang for them.  It was a blessed moment, and one that we all later agreed gave us a real sense of unity.  We finished our song, and the pastor thanked us and then said words I had not foreseen:  "How about another one?"  Once again God intervened, giving me the wisdom to say, "Why don't we sing one together?"  I then led the entire congregation in Amazing Grace, which only a few of the students knew.  It didn't matter, because the congregation (of about 30) sang with such gusto that the roof was lifted.  It was awesome.  We then sat down, pleased and blessed that we had been part of worship.  The youth were all smiles.  I silently thanked God for His provisions.  We could have left then and there filled with the Holy Spirit and a new excitement.  But the blessing of that morning had just begun.  See you tomorrow for part 2- The Old Rugged Cross!

Because of Jesus,

2 comments:

  1. He always does provide! What a great way to start the mission trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11/08/2010

    I hope you are planning on turning these stories into a book someday. They could be such encouragement and inspiration for other youth pastors. -Kevin B.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!