Saturday, December 18, 2010

Tweeting On My Twitter

As I have told you before, my weekday mornings begin with getting breakfast ready for Will and watching Mike & Mike In the Morning on ESPN2.  They love to get feedback from viewers, and you can can text them (as you may remember, I am physically incapable of texting), e-mail them or reach them on Twitter (@MikeandMike).  And almost every morning, Mike Golic will say something about someone "tweeting on their Twitter."  The way he phrases it makes it sound like a "Twitter" is a separate machine made especially for tweeting.  It always makes me laugh.  Actually the entire concept of Twitter used to make me laugh.  I could not imagine being one of those people who wanted the world to know what I was eating for lunch or where I was driving to next.  I was certain I would never be on Twitter.  I got over it...

I have learned to love Twitter.  I love hearing what people are thinking about the events of the day.  I love getting new people to read and respond to this blog.  I love trying to respond to the tweets of others with witty comments.  I love hearing from friends in faith (both old and new) who share their beliefs, wisdom and frustrations each day.  My own tweets seem to fall into one of 4 major categories:  Old friends, Faith, Disney and Sports.  I also LOVE responding to the tweets of others, trying to be helpful, silly or both.  I really do enjoy it all.  So today I thought I would share with you a few of my tweets and a few from people "I follow" from the past week or so, just to give you an idea of what being @Youthguy07 on Twitter is like.  Here we go!
  • From Stephen Colbert: "Only 9 days left to fortify your homes against the Grinch. He must not get his hands on our roast beast!"
  • From Toby Mac:  Please retweet. Tobymac's new song "Christmas This Year" http://bit.ly/eTZKB8
  • From Greg Smith:  "Jesus tends to come to people where they are but rarely leaves them as they were."  - William H. Willimon
  • From Dr. Jim Burns:  "Marriage is a relationship in which one person is always right and the other is usually the husband."   :-)
  • From Ryne Pearson:  "You've been swined!"  (Adding to me to a list of writers who also love bacon!)
  • From Steve Martin:  "New Year's Eve falls on December 31st this year."
  • More Steve Martin:  "So New Years Day will be on January 1st, pushing Valentines Day to February 14th."  (and yes- THAT Steve Martin!)
And here are a few of my own tweets:
  • "If thou doest partake of the manna called HOT Krispy Kremes, thou shouldst also drinketh their hot cocoa- for it is good." 2 Heziciah 12:17
  • Want a hungry person to understand that Jesus loves them? Feed them. "Empty bellies have no ears." -Ancient Proverb
  • "The problems of 2 people don't amount to a hill of beans. But this is our hill. And these are our beans!" - Frank Drebin     RIP Leslie Nielsen
  • When your sin takes away everything you have, you discover that God's grace gives you everything you need. This I know...
  • I am thinking of hosting a Fetivus party if I can only figure out when it is. Can anyone provide the aluminum pole?
  • One of the top 5 sitcom clips ever, courtesy of @greatoldtvshows - featuring Rev. Jim from "Taxi." http://bit.ly/mgzLz

    As you can tell, Twitter gives me an outlet for being serious, for being silly, for being witty, and for sharing my thoughts with all kinds of different people.  I currently have over 425 people "following me," and I "follow" a lot more than that.  I suppose if I have a point today it is this- listening to what youth pastors, pastors and other people of faith are saying on Twitter gives me great hope that a new generation of Christians is rising up in our world.  They seem to promote grace over law (like Jesus), forgiveness over hatred (like Jesus), love over politics (like Jesus!) and Jesus over the institution of "church."  They give me great hope that the church may yet turn out to one day be full of Christ-followers instead of church members.  Praise God for that...
My other point is this- go out and buy yourself a Twitter machine and learn to tweet on it!  Then you can follow me, Steve Martin and all the rest of the crew!  See you tomorrow!

Jesus- the only hope for me is you...and You alone!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12/18/2010

    OMG that clip from Taxi is so funny! Slow down!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Twitter is crazy. I'm still trying to appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!