Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Tiny Jesus

Yesterday morning I was awakened by my dog at 4:40 AM.  I took him for a walk, realizing as I went out that he had not even had the decency to wake me up in time to see the eclipse.  I returned to the house and he went back to sleep, while I lay on the couch with all of the lights in the house off- except for our Christmas tree.  Our tree is beautiful, decorated with Disney ornaments (and others) collected over the years and many lights.  I love our tree.  But there is no denying one fact- in this house, our tree looks incredibly TINY.  It's a 6 1/2 feet tall tree in a room with 14 feet high ceilings.  The poor tree has no chance of filling up the room, or even of appearing significant.

That moment led to another thought- totally random in many ways, but I hope you may yet see the relationship.  I lay on the sofa thinking about one of the great theological movies of the past decade- Talladega Nights: The Legend of Ricky Bobby (sarcasm intended). Some of you will remember the scene where Ricky (Will Ferrell) is saying the blessing over a family meal.  He begins by praying, "Dear Baby Jesus" (My son Will still often begins prayers that way).  A discussion later ensues about the fact that Jesus did in fact grow up and become a man, but Ricky doesn't care.  He prefers to think of Jesus as a cute little baby, helpless in the manger.  Throughout his prayer he continues to refer to Baby Jesus in more and more descriptive ways, but never advancing him beyond the infant stage.

It occurs to me that far too often we do the same thing with Jesus at Christmas.  We have our nativity scenes and our Christmas plays and our scripture readings that focus (quite rightly) on the miraculous birth story of our Savior.  But too many times we let the story end there.  Like Ricky Bobby, we prefer a Tiny JesusTiny Jesus is cute, cuddly and much easier for us to understand.  Tiny J doesn't ask us to love our enemies and pray for those who persecute us.  Tiny J doesn't remind us to take care of the "least of these."  Tiny J doesn't call anyone a "brood of vipers."  Tiny J doesn't tell us "to find your life you have to lose it."  It is much easier for us if we do not allow Jesus to grow up...

So what does Tiny Jesus have to do with my pitiful little tree?  Just this- Tiny J may be cute and cuddly and worthy of our praise, just like my tree.  But the full-grown Messiah, the Lord of Lords and King of Kings- now that Jesus knows how to fill up a room!  The Son of God will become the most important person in history.  There is such power in his life, his teaching and in his death and resurrection that we cannot ignore his presence.  When we allow Jesus to grow up, it is no longer enough to bring gold or myrrh.  The only gift that is sufficient is to offer him our lives.

So this Friday night and Saturday, celebrate the birth of the infant Christ-child.  Worship the babe as the shepherds did all those years ago.  Rejoice in his coming to our world.  Read the Luke 2 stories of that most holy night.  Just be sure to keep reading- and watch that baby grow into a man who would one day save the world...

Jesus, the only hope for me is you...and You alone!

 

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12/22/2010

    Since I am going to steal this for my Christmas Eve sermon, I will reman anonymous. Let me just say thanks and God bless. A brilliant essay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty profound Carl and oh so true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Anonymous and Meagan! Every now and then I have a thought.. LOL And Anon, it is not stealing if it is a gift- and this one is all yours!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!