Thursday, September 6, 2012

Changes in Attitude

Happy Comment Day! Remember to read all the blogs you can and leave comments on every post you read!  It's a simple as that! Looking for some blogs to check out?  Start by visiting  http://incitingincidents.org/stories.php and checking out the over 30 posts that were part of the Inciting Incidents synchroblog on Tuesday.  That gives you lots of choices.  Or you can stop by some of my favorite bloggers by clicking any of the links listed below:
                                                                                                                       
Now on with today's post...

Lately I have had an attitude problem.  Actually, the problem is that I have developed an attitude.  It seems that I am constantly wanting things that I cannot have, and when I realize that fact I get frustrated and whiny. It is not a pretty sight. These are not material things that I am coveting. These are emotional and personal needs that I am struggling with, and so they are difficult to talk about. To be honest, many of them are selfish things- things I want to change, places I wish I could go.  I get moody and people worry about me, because I am not generally a moody person.  And then when people worry I get defensive and my attitude problem grows.  It is a vicious cycle.  The world sometimes gets crazy, and when it does, I tend to get a little crazy right along with it.

There are several things that help me survive such times.  Prayer, of course, often brings great peace to my soul.  Family and good friends who offer love and support help me remember that I do have a purpose.  But when my attitude starts sinking, there is always one thing that brings me back to life.  Laughter.  Laughing brings great energy into my heart. Making others laugh is one of my life's great joys.  When life gives you lemons, you can make lemonade- or you can make grape juice and leave the world wondering how you did it!  That is what laughter does to my grumpy, self-involved attitude.  It's like Jimmy Buffett wrote all those years ago:
"It's those changes in latitude, changes in attitude,
nothings remains quite the same.
With all of the running and all of our cunning
if we couldn't laugh we would all go insane.
If we weren't all crazy we would go insane..."

One thing I learned from all of my years in student ministry is this- when life gets a little crazy, go with it. Embrace the craziness, and get a little crazy yourself!  And remember that God created you to be a unique individual.  Even when your attitude makes you grumpy.  Have a good laugh today.  And share the joy with someone else who might need one as well. Never forget that laughter is one of God's great gifts to humanity.

Because of Jesus,

9 comments:

  1. I'm up I'm up, commenting bright and early! :) Keep laughing....!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for a great start to my day!

      Delete
  2. Wow top of the list! Thanks. I will have to come back and check out the other blotters you mentioned.

    In other news, I'm now singing Jimmy Buffet. Thanks for the smile this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You earned that top billing, my friend! And if singing Jimmy doesn't make you smile, what does? :)

      Delete
  3. So a church worker walks into a bar run by church members and he asks, "So what can I get for you?" AHAHAHAHAHAHA! :) Yes? No? Laughing? Eye rolling? It's early - cut a girl a break. Love you. (A comment and laughed rolled into one...am I good or what? Don't answer that.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A laugh and an eye roll. Job well done, Teresa!

      Delete
  4. Anonymous9/06/2012

    If you want a laugh, you can call me and we will discuss baseball or for that matter any sport.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! We can talk about counting the K's so we can get free pizza at a furniture store...

      Delete
  5. Thanks for putting me on this list! I definitely wish I had more time like I used to to blog! This is definitely encouraging, though :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!