Tuesday, October 11, 2011

What Do I Expect?

Tomorrow (October 12) is my day to once again serve as a prayer partner for Ashley Goad Broadhurst as she serves God by bringing clean water to the people of Haiti.  I hope you will join in me in praying for her.


I should preface this post by reminding you all once again how blessed I am to attend a great church led by a Pastor who "gets it."  He preaches each week with passion.  His teaching is scriptural and full of grace.  People flock in to hear him.  He is a leader in the Jesus Revolution.  So why, given all of that, do I have days like this past Sunday when I struggle to listen- when I become almost cynical?  Let me explain.


I spent nearly 30 years working in churches, and in that time I both listened to and preached more than my share of sermons.  It is natural that I listen with a bit more of a critical ear than the average church-goer.  And some weeks- like this past Sunday- I fall into a dangerous trap. I focus more on how I would have made the sermon better, instead of on what Jesus has to say to my soul.  Our pastor (like many others) loves to advertise advance sermons with a bit of hubris and hyperbole.  Every series will be the best one yet.  Every sermon will give you new insights into the Word of God.  That's just how preachers talk.  This Sunday we were going to get the answer to the question, "How do I know God's will for my life?"  I was anxious to hear the answer to one of Christianity's most asked queries.  


As the message began, my mind went to a bad place almost immediately.   As the pastor introduced the first scripture he indicated that God had already told us what was required of us.  I made a quick million dollar bet with myself that Micah 6:8 was coming.  I won.  He then indicated Jesus also told us what we were to be doing, and I doubled my money by guessing Matthew 25 before he ever read a word.  How predicable, I thought.  He then went on to say that there are some specific things we can do to learn God's will.  We can accept Jesus as our savior.  We can study scripture more.  We can pray more. We can hang out with Godly people.   And as he preached these truths that so many needed to hear, all I could think was, "DUH!"  That's your big life-changing insight?  Really?  Know Jesus, read the bible, pray and hang out with a better class of friends?  By the time he entered the commitment portion of the service (in which he pretty much always says the exact same thing- because it's what needs to be said!) I had tuned him out completely.  My mind was racing.  Where was the creativity?  I know the gospel never changes, but must we always deliver the message in the same old way?  My background in youth ministry taught me that "tameness, sameness and lameness" often keep people from actually hearing the message.  This sermon felt totally lame to me.  What was wrong with him?


The answer, of course, was nothing.  There was something wrong with me.  I like to say it's all about Jesus, but the fact is on this Sunday morning I made it all about myself.  It was a message tailored for those who are struggling in their faith, seeking God's will - and I got upset because I already knew about it.  That's nuts.  What do I expect from my church?  I expect them to preach grace and God's love, to reach out to the lost and hurting and to help us all find Jesus.  It's not about entertaining me, or finding a new way to tell me what I already know.  Here's the bottom line, and a key point to remember if we want to be a part of a Jesus Revolution- worship is not about what you get out of it, it's about what you put into it.  I forgot that this week and made it all about me- and as a result, I was miserable.  What do I expect from me?  To do justly, love mercy and walk humbly with God (Micah 6:8).  Now where did I hear that before?  


Because of Jesus,

1 comment:

  1. I try to remember to ask myself if my heart was in the right place. Now I can usually blame myself if I don't get anything put of it. Before we left our previous church though I was asking myself the same question every Sunday and for years. Needless to say we had to leave.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading,and thanks for your comment!